How many years of _________ language?

KyleAdams

I took the Latin IB test after taking 3 years, but mostly to see what it was like as no one had ever taken it before. I'm sure I did awful on it, but at least I know what I'm up against now. I'm gonna take it again this year, so hopefully I'll do ok on it *nod*

I'm not 100% sure how its done for the other languages at my school, but I think its the same concept: you have to have (at least) 3-4 years of the language.

• 10 months later...

At my school, people who take the Spanish B, Latin B or French B SL exams begin in ninth grade and take it for the next four years (if they haven't had any language experience before starting Pre-IB or IB). Sometimes they take it even if they have had more experience than that. But it's usually four or five years when they take the SL exam.

The HL students (like me) will have six or seven years of Spanish, Latin, or French when we take the exam. Or they're native speakers.

I think having four-five years is good if you want to take it at SL. Maybe an additional year or two for HL.

Edited by emilynev

At our school, you only need to take two years of Spanish to take Spanish B HL/SL (HL and SL are just combined into one class for us and it's right now sort of a review of third year of Spanish). Ab initio Spanish SL you don't need any experience to take that class.

Edited by Patel108