The Chronicles of Narnia

Ruan Chun Xian

Well, my current...obsession, if you will, is Narnia fanfiction. I was listening to a Narnia fanfic podcast the other day and they mentioned the fact that if you didn't read the Narnia books as a child and tried to read it as an adult, you pretty much miss the boat because it's so...well, boring to read as a mature reader.

To be honest, I would agree with this. Actually I never actually read Narnia as a child and only started reading them for my EE. But then I was looking at it more from a literary perspective so I wasn't thinking about how interested I might be otherwise. Recently I went back and reading them just for fun, and well...there is no doubt these are kids' books. I'm sorry but this time around they bored me to tears. Fanfics became much more attractive than the books themselves, because, if well written, they explore the huge gaping plot holes that Lewis left.

Thoughts?

I actually agree with you very much!

When I was younger, I wasn't in one of those classes where the teacher decided to read his/her students the Narnia Chronicles. Instead, my teacher came up with the brilliant idea of us making children books (yay...)

The point is that I only read them once I was about twelve, but I really enjoyed them. I was seriously obsessed with those books, because they helped develop my imagination. However, I was recently trying to re-read the series (last summer) and found I couldn't get past the third book, no matter how much I tried! I guess it's just because reading them doesn't take to me to a place I've never been before; the wonder of the story is gone because it's already been experienced.

I think the fanfics work because they tell new adventures and stories, so readers can once again experience what they felt when reading the chronicles, but also get the added bonus of having new, gripping voyages to read about.

I still look fondly at the chronicles, they were one of the best series I've read. I do like the idea of fanfiction (though I'm currently occupied with my Bartimaeus fanfic...) so if you have anything that might be interesting to read, Hien (I didn't call you Ruan this time), I would be delighted to give it a go (I've already read some of your previous writing and I like your style).

Anyways, Good luck writing!

(by the way, I think I'll be obsessed with the sub-forum soon enough, thank you admin people for making it!)

Edited by Taigan

No, I don't mean it's boring because of rereading. I mean it's boring because it's...boring. The writing is boring. As in, it's so obviously written for children that, as an adult reading, I find it not very interesting. And I get bogged down in details (or lack thereof) so I pick up on all these plot holes that annoys me. Like the first time Lucy went into the wardrobe, Tumnus gives her all this stuff to eat (cake and whatnot) when it's supposedly winter for 100 years. Where is he getting all this food? And there's loads of other inconsistencies too. Also aside from Edmund, there's zero character development, almost.

I think I just get so spoiled by the amount of details in Harry Potter that the lack of them annoy me in Narnia. I mean, Lewis have battles that start and finish in the same page. I read it and then think, 'Eh, what? It's over?'

Anyway, my favourite Narnia fics are here: http://www.fanfiction.net/~ruanchunxian

Edit: Oh don't get me wrong I love the story. It's just that the writing is targeted at children so it frustrates me when I reread. No doubt Lewis is a good writer, I don't argue with that. I've read other stuff by him targeted at adults (Screwtape Letters). It's more that reading Narnia now, I realise that it's targeted at a very specific children audience that it's hard to overcome when you read it as an older audience.

I've never read them from a literature perspective, but I almost think that even a cild would recognise the Christian symbols in it. The books are basically Christian propaganda for children, but I still like them. Maybe it's because I'm into fantasy and have always liked to read about animals. We also had Narnia as a TV series from the 70s or something and it was so well done!

Well, the series was in fact written for children. Harry Potter was written for all age groups, as it started with a shorter, simpler book and slowly developed with it's readers. I can't read the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets without feeling like it's a children's book.

Also, with Narnia, I was trying to point out that it's originality is due to the world which C.S. Lewis created; that's what makes the series special, not the writing. I agree that the narration is not all that interesting, so reading the series multiple times is just difficult and you really shouldn't expect to get anything more from the books.

Also, remember that when Lewis wrote the series, the idea of children's fantasy books was quite different. I don't think he put much thought into the action sequences because that's not what he thought was the most interesting part of the series (which differs with what the writers of the movies thought).

Ok so I’m procrastinating by writing a Narnia fanfic, so I was just rereading the last chapter of Lion, Witch and Wardrobe and this made me want to laugh.

This is the scene where they were hunting the White Stag.

So these two Kings and two Queens with the principal members of their court, rode a-hunting with horns and hounds in the Western Woods to follow the White Stag. And they had not hunted long before they had a sight of him. And

he led them a great pace over rough and smooth and through thick and thin, till the horses of all the courtiers were tired out and these four were still following.And they saw the stag enter into a thicket where their horses could not follow. Then said King Peter…"Fair Consorts, let us now alight from our horses and follow this beast into the thicket; for in all my days I never hunted a nobler quarry."

"Sir," said the others, "even so let us do."

So they alighted and tied their horses to trees and went on into the thick wood on foot.

The Stag ran so fast/far that their courtiers' horses were tired, and then they decide to get off their horses and chase it on foot???

I really enjoyed reading that. It's amusing to see how Professor Diggory reacted to their accents. I like that your write about something that CS Levis neglected: surely when the Pevensies emerged from their wardrobe, they would maintain their manner of speech (just as they kept their memories). I also like they style of writing; the vocabulary varies so it makes for a refreshing read. Finally, congrats on getting the Court-Speech right, I know I never could have done that!

I look forward to reading more of your work in the future :)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I think that Narnia is a great series, I read them when I was about 13 years old and I think I want to read them again.

I also agree that by Lewis' style of writing you can see he meant it for children. I don't think I personally would get frustrated as an adult, rereading them although I've never tried. I think I will just never be able to be frustrated with the stories, they're just too good.

I can see you guys' point of view and I understand it, but to me personally the Narnia books so timeless that they are good for adults too, only they should be adults like c. s. lewis, i.e. adults with a little bit of their child's heart left :yes:

I started reading Narnia when I was about 11 years old, as part of my school's syllabus. I Loved the books then, thinking the story and plot line was amazing. And I agree with you, the stories were designed for children...

Lewis wrote this books for children, as a bridge between ladybird books, and well, adult-y books. I think they're great for a child to read, as they can easily get lost in the mystical and magical world of Narnia, but that once we are older, re reading it may prove pointless as there is only so much information we can get out of the book.

• 4 months later...