School Societies?

Taigan

I've been browsing the net and came across this thing called a school society. To be more specific, a medic's school society. So I started thinking to myself, what's the purpose of having such a society? Is it worth suggesting to my school or was it just invented by some pretentious children hoping to sound impressive?

I have no clue what you're referring to. If they're asking you to pay to join it, I'd be wary. Most likely, it's for the greater good of its members. If you're getting the impression that it's haughty, then don't bother with it I guess. Or check it out yourself. I'm thinking that even if you do recommend it to your school, the admin won't really do anything about it. They might announce it one day. If you really like it, tell your friends about it. The word will spread much faster from the roots than from up top.

Societies = clubs, at least round here. So a medics society might organise outside speakers to come in and talk about why you might want to take medicine, what it entails, interesting lectures about relevant topics such as medical ethics etc. People who might want to pursue medicine would join, rather like how people who want to debate would join Debating Society :)

As with any school club, a society is only as pretentious as the people in it. The word "society" itself isn't particularly indicative of haughtyness.

Ohhh haha. Enlightenment ;)

I think it's a great idea to start a medics society at your school IF you know of a good teacher/faculty member who has some knowledge in the area and can be seen as a mentor even, you know of at least 5 [bare minimum, kinda] people who are interested in your future society, and if you have a realistic aim for the society--you know what you want to achieve and think you can do it. Starting a society can show unis that you're dedicated to your field/course of medicine, which can help set you apart [i think. I don't know much about UK unis].