Why not change the requirements for VIP?

Taigan

I think the requirements should be changed, not so that they are easier to reach, but so that they apply for everyone. The reason for this is that I have reached the VIP but have been restricted from downloading files, so why not change the requirements so that this sort of restriction on some VIP members does not have to be put into place?

Why not have the requirements as something like: "be a member for a minimum of ** months with an average post count of ** posts per day"?

This way you can have a minimum post count as well as ensure that they'll be on the site for a while and not just quickly get the posts and have to be restricted.

What do you think?

It's the way it is at the moment because not everyone spams their way to a 100 and are still allowed to get to a 100. You were very close to being banned :) Actually, I would've banned you but one of the admins was soft and thought that you should be given a chance.

Not a terribly bad idea but I don't think it's possible to have that setting on the board nor do I think that it's incentive enough for people to know that they'd have to wait say 3 months before they can get VIP privileges.

I never said that everyone spams their way to 100 posts and this suggestion doesn't just apply to me :)

I merely suggested the idea because it seems like most of the threads about the VIP have complaints from moderators that people just get to VIP to download the files, and then never come back onto the site. This would help solve the problem (as people would know they have a certain time to get to 100 and so wouldn't spam), would it not?

I suppose if it isn't possible than there really isn't any point, though.

You enjoy banning people from the site? Why? It hardly sounds like fun, knowing you're hurting other people's chances of doing well in IB.

Anyways, thanks for replying :)

Edited by Taigan

I never said that everyone spams their way to 100 posts and this suggestion doesn't just apply to me :)

No, you implied that you were unfairly treated since you were restricted from downloading files once you reached a 100. To which I replied that not everyone gets banned from downloading at a 100, that's only a select few who reach 100 posts quickly and easily. In fact, there are a fair few people who get VIPed before they even reach 80.

I merely suggested the idea because it seems like most of the threads about the VIP have complaints from moderators that people just get to VIP to download the files, and then never come back onto the site. This would help solve the problem (as people would know they have a certain time to get to 100 and so wouldn't spam), would it not?

Most current VIP members are active through out the course of IB, or have been useful in their lead up to a 100. It's to be expected that people become less active when they reach university since that's when their priorities change.

You enjoy banning people from the site? Why? It hardly sounds like fun

I never said I enjoyed banning people from the site. Where did I say or infer that? I said that people who are not worth their salt get banned. Again, I never said that it was fun. People who aren't worth get banned. If they still need to download, the VIP subscription is available at a fairly cheap price to whoever wishes to download files that are necessary to them.

knowing you're hurting other people's chances of doing well in IB.

Most people pre-2007 (when the site was incepted) got by just fine without VIP membership to a site. Yes, it makes things easier for some but there are people who can do well without additional resources from an online compendium of information.

And lastly mate, if I wanted to ban you for the 'fun', you'd have been long gone :)

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

I merely suggested the idea because it seems like most of the threads about the VIP have complaints from moderators that people just get to VIP to download the files, and then never come back onto the site.

Most threads about VIP are made by those who want to quickly reach VIP status so they have access to files... which is understandable, however, you also need to understand that this site is not a 'grab-and-go' downloading site but also an online community. The opinions and interactions of members are just as valuable - if not sometimes more valuable - than the files collected over the years. And not everything is recorded in pdf files. Some of the best advice, you can only get through personal interaction.

Your suggestion is a good one but I think the current system already filters out the 'valuable' members from the 'leechers'. Too many restrictions would only serve to hinder the growth of the site and access to the public.

If you REALLY want or need files, VIP Subscription is always available.

• Like 1

Yeah, call me a leach. I don't post often here but I gave em my money.

Seriously, if people really want to achieve VIP they can spot 8 pounds or actually contribute to the community through useful posts. Spamming for minimum post count seems like the most perverse way to circumvent the system that I can think of.

• Like 2

Yeah, call me a leach. I don't post often here but I gave em my money.

Seriously, if people really want to achieve VIP they can spot 8 pounds or actually contribute to the community through useful posts. Spamming for minimum post count seems like the most perverse way to circumvent the system that I can think of.

Koric, as you have paid, you can't technically be a leach, as the money you paid is also crucial to helping the community stay alive, especially since we don't have advertising on the site :).

Although everything I wanted to say has been said by Aboo, I just want to add, that the VIP requirements have been discussed by the staff memebers and have been changed before. I know you werent referring to yourself taigan, but the requirements seem to be suiting everyone else. Nevertheless, your opinion will be taken into consideration.

Oh, and about having fun 'banning' and hurting people's chances of doing well in IB.Personally, I only ban those who break the rules, that are clearly stated in the site. I can hardly believe that these people can do well in IB either way. If someone can't follow rules and not break them, then how are they going to be able to follow strict IB regulations and rules?

Anyhow, that was just a comment from me. ;)

In my opinion it's about having a positive contribution to the site and to the community - either in the form of money, useful files, or in the form of posts containing useful hints, tips, information or comments. Most people achieve this within 100 posts (or before), and although the time a member is around and their posts are of value, if the posts are a waste of time there's no specific number or amount of time which is going to change that fact, and they're effectively not making a positive contribution to the site.

To get value you have to add value, and in my opinion, although I suppose there could be room for some changes, the present VIP system suits that -- in order to make 100 posts which aren't deleted or moved to Chat boards etc., on the whole an individual does have to have made worthwhile posts which give useful help and advice to other members of the community, and donating money to keep the site open or valuable files of work are also examples of useful things for the community. Positive contribution. I think for the vast majority of people, the present VIP criteria do their job and filter those who're here and just taking instead of giving. So, for what it's worth, I believe the VIP criteria are as good as you're going to get when you consider that you can't really objectively place a value on "contributing positively to the community". The best we can do is approximate what it would take to probably be making a positive contribution (i.e. our present VIP criteria are very likely to produce such a member) - but at the end of the day there's no "average posts a day" or "length of membership" criterion which would yield the same effect, as those would be equally prone to exceptions. You can have a lot of posts per day but still not be contributing any real "meaty" value to the site, and similarly be around for ages without doing the same.

At the end of the day I think it's best we have some sort of objective criteria (i.e. our present VIP requirements) so people know what to aim for and we have a set standard, but at the end of the day the real thing the site is after - people who're going to give as much as they take out of it - is subjective, and all we can do is try and approximate where the two values will meet. There will always be exceptions - people who're very helpful and make good contributions to the site to gain VIP membership early, and those who add very little of use with their comments and therefore do not gain it at 100 posts. The majority will fit somewhere inbetween, be reasonably helpful and earn their VIP membership with the post number specified, and for that reason I think the VIP membership requirements as they stand are effective. ;)

• Like 1

In my opinion it's about having a positive contribution to the site and to the community - either in the form of money, useful files, or in the form of posts containing useful hints, tips, information or comments. Most people achieve this within 100 posts (or before), and although the time a member is around and their posts are of value, if the posts are a waste of time there's no specific number or amount of time which is going to change that fact, and they're effectively not making a positive contribution to the site.

To get value you have to add value, and in my opinion, although I suppose there could be room for some changes, the present VIP system suits that -- in order to make 100 posts which aren't deleted or moved to Chat boards etc., on the whole an individual does have to have made worthwhile posts which give useful help and advice to other members of the community, and donating money to keep the site open or valuable files of work are also examples of useful things for the community. Positive contribution. I think for the vast majority of people, the present VIP criteria do their job and filter those who're here and just taking instead of giving. So, for what it's worth, I believe the VIP criteria are as good as you're going to get when you consider that you can't really objectively place a value on "contributing positively to the community". The best we can do is approximate what it would take to probably be making a positive contribution (i.e. our present VIP criteria are very likely to produce such a member) - but at the end of the day there's no "average posts a day" or "length of membership" criterion which would yield the same effect, as those would be equally prone to exceptions. You can have a lot of posts per day but still not be contributing any real "meaty" value to the site, and similarly be around for ages without doing the same.

At the end of the day I think it's best we have some sort of objective criteria (i.e. our present VIP requirements) so people know what to aim for and we have a set standard, but at the end of the day the real thing the site is after - people who're going to give as much as they take out of it - is subjective, and all we can do is try and approximate where the two values will meet. There will always be exceptions - people who're very helpful and make good contributions to the site to gain VIP membership early, and those who add very little of use with their comments and therefore do not gain it at 100 posts. The majority will fit somewhere inbetween, be reasonably helpful and earn their VIP membership with the post number specified, and for that reason I think the VIP membership requirements as they stand are effective. :P

That was very thorough of you! ;) I agree with your points.