Sign in to follow this  

Physics--Ramp & Pulleys Problem

So I've been trying to solve the same problem for over 90 minutes, and I'm pretty frustrated. The set up is you have a ramp and a pulley coming off from each end. The attached document has the image.

m1 = m2 = .20kg

The angle is 7o = x

Acceleration, a, is 2.0m/s2 in the direction of the first mass falling down

T1 is found to be 1.56N and T2 is found to be 2.36N. Use 9.8m/s2 as g. To find m3, I set up this equation:

m3a = m3gsinx + T1 -T2

But when I went to solve for m3, I got a negative number... grr. I've asked so many people but they either haven't done it or can't find anything wrong with my equation. post-14787-125323940453_thumb.jpg

Any help?

Edited by sweetnsimple786

I think you are right but there is a mistake in the question. The acceleration couldn't be 2 m/s squared

If you take the system as a whole and frictionless incline then the acceleration of motion shoud be a = gsinx which is usual irrespective of the mass. and this value is 1.19 then there is a mistake in either the acceleration or in the angle. the angle is 12 and not 7.

• Like 1

<div class="message info">This topic has been <strong class='bbc'>closed</strong> by a moderator.</div>

<strong class='bbc'>Reason:</strong> <em class='bbc'>The question no longer needs solving. </em>

If you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff