Visual Arts passing criteria

Pwhdavey

I have really only started making portfolio pieces in the second half of my second year in IB. Big procrastination, regretted taking the subject. Anyway, I have caught up and produced 7 good quality exhibition pieces. I have another 2 pieces from last year of lesser quality. That makes a total of 9, which I believe is 1 more than the minimum requirement for SLA. But my teacher keeps saying to me to aim for 14 exhibition pieces. First he made it seem like 12 was the minimum, and when I get to 9 he tells me to get 14. Well the November exams are soon and I don't want to be doing art after my 2 week holidays starting in a week. Giving that my teacher said I produced an excellent research work book (but I haven't got my internal marks back yet) and I have 9 fine exhibition pieces, will I be able to pass Visual Arts. What is the maximum mark out of 7 I could get (I'm aiming for a 4/5)? Do you advise 12 or 14 exhibition pieces? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's pretty bad that you left it to last minute, that's a lot of pressure on you. I'm new to IB and I doubt i'll be of much help but since no one has replied yet, I figure I could input on this. I think, just to be on the safe side, you should try to produce as much work as possible for the few time you have left so you can get the 4/5 or maybe better. But make sure they are thorough and meaningful.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't that helpful but I hope you do well! :P

C'mon. Just sit down one weekend and produce 4 more pieces that 'play' with those you already produced. :P

It looks much better to have more than less!

From what I have seen, students who produce a few really high quality pieces get lower grades than those who produce tons of mediocre works.

Remember to look at the criteria, 'development' plays an important role (that's why I advice you to 'play' with stuff you already have done).