How Do You Study?

ichigo1411

So I have just entered IB1 this year and i find myself taking way too long to do homework or to study. I find myself sometimes puzzling over one math question for 30 minutes.

What are some of the ways you people study possibly to achieve more in less time? I need more efficient ways to study ;)

Edited by ichigo1411

Perhaps you might find it a little bit easier if you had a bit of damage limitation thing going on -- if you're taking 30 minutes to do a single maths question, you're obviously struggling with it (unless it's just a massive question ;) ). At some point in time you have to balance the amount of time it takes you to do something versus the value of battling against it. Half an hour is a long time for a single question, and although it's laudable that you keep going that long, if I were you I'd've given up the moment I realised I didn't understand it well enough. You save yourself time and add to your understanding if you skip things which're more difficult for you and just move on. Provided you ask the teacher how to do it, you'll not miss out on anything, just save yourself time :P

Being honest, I used to give up if things were taking me that long. In terms of effciency, ploughing through things like that (unless it's coursework, of course) isn't really time effective. Of course there's the odd exception, but it's generally about getting the most out of your time, so if you're stuck, it's better to spend 5 minutes getting it re-explained than 30 minutes trying to get the hang of it yourself.

Otherwise, if you're really being set 30 minutes maths questions, it's possible your teacher is overloading you? XD

I usually spend a maximum of 15 minutes on one question and if I do not get the question after 15 minutes myself, I ask my friends or mark the question so that I can ask my teacher the next day. That is the most efficient in my opinion, since spending 30 minutes on a question is just a plain waste of time and effort.

Also, to be more efficient while studying in general, try to stay away from the computer (internet is just too addicting)!

When I get stuck and can't do the question even after about 10 minutes, I just call my friends. Usually we have similar problems and it's motivating to see who can get the answer first. Once one of us does, we help the other out and explain it to them. This is good because I used to just drop doing the work altogether when I got stuck because I was so frustrated.

Try it.

I will usually check out what the answer is if I can't get it, read the relevant parts of textbooks and then try again. If I can't get it, then I move on and when I have that class next I ask my teacher for help on it. That's how I do homework. I find studying easier because study notes are pretty much just a summary of all the hard stuff I learn, so most of the work is already done.

I normally study at my desk (trying not to go on the internet, so I turn off my screen at least). Sometimes, I'll go to the council library. It's really good there because there are practically no distractions! Starting next term, I'm going to try and do all of my homework as soon as a I get home and before going on FaceBook & then after dinner I can finish off any homework or assignments or do some actual study (like revision, not just homework). I listen to classical music normally when I do this, it's relaxing and you can still focus on the work you're doing whilst listening to it. I also try to do revision on the holidays to refresh what I've learned in the previous term/s. These holidays I will be trying to get ahead in regards to the work for next term so that I've already gone over the coursework by the time we're actually taught it, therefore, it should be easier to remember & learn as it's just refreshing your memory :)

i used to do the same thing like most people, try a problem then give up, ask someone, i used to work approx 2-3 hours of clean work (minus fb and msn), but now that i am in DP2 its the same thing but for 5-6 hours.... DP1 was fun.... good times... procrastination wasnt such a big deal.... classical music goes pretty well with schoolwork

Edited by aliab

I agree with the idea of listening to classical music. I find that it helps me to focus and also to remember things better.

My maths teacher always tells us at the beginning of a test to skip the questions we can't do straight away and then come back to them. Then at least if you've read them it sort of stays in the back of your mind and when you come back to it, it's much clearer. I find that this works well for most subjects but obviously that's mostly for in a test situation.