IB Changes for May 2010

ABC123456

Hello! I'm a May 2010 candidate, and I know that IB has changed some things. For one, I know that EE and TOK Essay are weighted the same now, so you must pass both of those. I have some questions on overall how to pass IB.

Failing is represented by an E for the Extended Essay, correct? So basically, don't get an E and you'll still be fine?

I've heard talks that you can't get certain grades in certain HLs. For example you can't get lower than a 4(?) in HL Biology. How exactly does this work?

In our EE packets it says that "From 2010 onwards, 28 points will be required to be eligible for the diploma if a student attains an "E" grade in either the extended essay or theory of knowledge. As previously, a grade "A" in one of the requirements earns an extra point even if the other grade is a grade "E"." -Is attaining 28 points hard to do?

How many points out of 45 is considered passing to get the IB Diploma?

As if you couldn't tell from above, I've been freaking out. I think I've developed a sort of disorder (haha). Thank you all for the help.

Don't worry. Seriously, I find the people who worry the most, tend to not do as well as does that just concentrate on DOING the things, rather than worrying.

-24/45 is a pass.

-The "no lower than a 4" would mean that, because you need to get 12 points in total for your HLs, this averages out that you can't get lower than a 4 to pass (in theory). You can still get lower than a 4, if you understand what I'm saying.

Here you go, newly updated:

Article 15: Award of the IB Diploma

15.2 The IB Diploma will be awarded to a candidate whose total score is 24, 25, 26, or 27 points, provided all the following requirements have been met.

a. Numeric grades have been awarded in all six subjects registered for the IB. (i.e. no "N")

b. All CAS requirements have been met.

c. At least Grade D has been awarded for both theory of knowledge and an extended essay.

d. There is no grade 1 in any subject.

e. There is no grade 2 at higher level.

f. There is no more than one grade 2 at standard level.

g. Overall, there are no more than three grades 3 or below.

h. At least 12 points have been gained on higher level subjects (four highers = 16 points)

i. At least 9 points have been gained on standard level subjects (two standards = 6 points)

j. The final award committee has judged the candidate not to be guilty of malpractice.

The only change this year is that if you get an E in either extended essay or TOK, you will need 28 points. Two E's is still an automatic failing condition, as is malpractice.

Some other changes this year:

• Re-marking a candidate's externally assessed material may lead to a higher or lower grade for a subject.
  • You may appeal the "final award committee" on the grounds that the general procedures of the IB were not followed.

Edited by Jakebert
  • Like 1