Mathematics HL Crash Course?

Cognac

Hi!

I've got the following problem: I do Mathematics Studies SL (I actually was on Standard for the first IB year, but because of bad results I went on Studies - I did not Standard so I was not quite motivated - and I do regret this laziness of mine). However, things changed and I am now keen on going to LSE or some other university with courses that focus on economics and political philosophy or sociology. The problem is that they are really not likely to take me with Mathematics at Studies. My question is:

Is there ANY way to have a Mathematics HL 'crash course' or any equivalent? (A levels, anything...)

I am not really keen on spending two years just for the Mathematics HL (it seems I'll do fine in my current subjects), so I wondered whether there was a possibility of some kind of semi (because of the portfolio) self-taught course that I could do in half a year on so (provided it is the only thing I do)? I'll take a gap-year so it would be really good to have something like that for that time (and I do not lack the abilities for that course when sufficiently motivated).

Or, maybe there just is a self-taught Mathematics HL course?

I'd be really grateful...

Edited by Cognac

Needless to say, and you probably know already, LSE does not accept any students with Maths Studies and they take SL Maths only for non-Maths courses such as Geography or something. Don't expect to get into Economics without Maths HL.

Secondly, if you were unable to do Maths SL and dropped to Studies (which was with the help of teachers and whatnot), what chance have you got of self studying Maths HL and getting a decent grade to get into LSE? Bear in mind that Economics is one of the most oversubscribed courses in LSE and you'd need a 7 or at the very least a 6 to stand a chance at getting in.

If you're really keen though, do the A-Level Maths course and get an A or A* on it. They should accept that as long you give an explanation for why you've not done Maths HL (blame the school or something)

Thanks for the reply!

Now, is there something like crash course A-level course, preferably self-taught?

Something that can be formally done in half a year or so?

(As I said, I am at Math Studies not because I lacked the skills for HL. I took Studies because I was too lazy to do anything for a subject that I would not need and having the possibility of doing a much easier course with no effort at all the choice was obvious.)

You'd have to spend at least a year to do the A-Levels since you will have to do the A2 examinations (A-Level's equivalent of HL). Have a look here: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/maths/Pages/default.aspx . This will give you the specification (read syllabus) and also a sample paper. If you're up for it, you can ask Edexcel if they have any exam centres in Poland, and then you can contact the exam centres to register yourself as a candidate for the exam.

What year are you in? Wouldn't it be just easier to go back up to Maths HL? Catch up over the winter break intensively and do the IAs. Self studying anything requires a lot of dedication and motivation, and with a subject like Maths it can be so much more confusing.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm in my second year of IB. I think trying to catch up for HL is a bit too late now, it is getting tough already. (I actually really do enjoy self studying and have had good results at it so far, that is why I am so optimistic about that.)

I've checked the centres and a school nearby that I actually used to go to does offer A2 exams, so I will consider that.

Thanks one more time XD

Edited by Cognac