Which is harder? Phy HL or Chem HL?

akyt

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which is harder?

• Physics HL + Chemistry SL
    • Chemistry HL + Physics SL

It's hard for me to make a fair comparison, because I only took chemistry at the standard level. However, I can say with a great amount of confidence that Physics HL is very difficult. Even the absolute most intelligent people at my school in that class found themselves struggling at times. The courseload is extremely heavy, with a great deal of theoretical concepts and difficult equations.

From what I've heard on this website alone, many people find Chemistry HL to be relatively decent. So unless you're more physics-minded, I would take Physics SL and Chemistry HL. :D

They're both very hard :D

My friend took both at HL and reckoned she hated both of them equally, but that Physics was slightly easier to get a grip on than Chemistry was. I think being mathematical probably helps ease the pain of HL Physics a reasonable amount so it depends where your talents lie as to how you get on with each, and which is easier/harder for you.

What I'd personally go for isn't how hard the HL is (because they're both foul) but how easy the SL is. I can tell you right away that SL Chemistry doesn't really have any of the hard stuff in it, whereas SL Physics is perhaps a little more challenging in terms of which concepts are still kept in. The jump between SL --> HL for Chemistry is pretty dramatic, so if you're after the easier combination, you'll probably want the one where you can not think too much about the SL and therefore concentrate on the evil HL. Therefore I conclude you should take HL Physics and SL Chem! :P

It really depends entirely on what kind of a person you are. They are both very hard, but I think Physics HL just edges it. The thing is that the Chemistry course is based on a lot of memorizing and solving the same type of questions(not that they are easy!), while in Physics you have to grasp the concepts, because you'll be getting unfamiliar problems every exam. I personally have Physics HL and Chemistry SL, and I find Physics easier to understand, but hard nevertheless, Chemistry is very easy to get a 7 in, you just need to memorize things and how to solve question.

So if you're a person who does not need to understand what you're doing, then go with Chem HL and Physics SL. But if you are a person who likes to understand what's going on then take Physics HL and Chem SL. And if you are both, then take the ultimate step and take Physics HL and Chem HL.

I think the general consensus is that Physics is harder than Chemistry.

I hope that helped

physics in general is a harder course - so i've heard.

also by looking at the grade boundaries you can kinda get a gist for what subjects are harder etc

although that may not always be the case if you happen to be good at that area :P

i do remember my friends complaining that their physics was going into pseudoscience though :P

Hi

I'm taking both Chemistry and Physics HL. I've classmates who are taking Physics HL + Chemistry SL, or Physics SL + Chemistry HL. Both subjects are equally demanding. I'd say Physics is for students who can grasp concepts very well. Once you get the concepts, the papers should be easy. Mathematical grasp, good mathematical grasp is a tool to excellence in Physics.

On the other hand, Chemistry is more of hard work and not brain work. If you are hardworking, Chemistry should be easy.

SL English A1

SL Spanish ab initio

SL History

HL Physics

HL Chemistry

HL Mathematics

• 2 weeks later...

I have Physics HL on my IB curriculum and I can tell you that it is a demanding course, but it's totally worth it if you have the right teacher and enjoy Physics! Although I guess the same applies for Chemistry as well, so my advice to you is to choose a course based on what you are enthusiastic about and not on what is supposedly "harder." If you love a subject you won't find it difficult at all.

Personally, and I know this is different to what others have said, believe that Physics HL and Chemistry SL is the easier option.

I took Chemistry SL as an anticipated subject last year, and am soon to sit my Physics HL exam, and in the long run I am very happy with this decision, although having said this, the reason for that is because I am a maths based student. So it depends on what your strengths are, if you enjoy maths then physics is a lot easier to understand, but if you are a more learner based rather than application based go with chemistry HL. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh god, Chemistry SL is nothing, it's a joke. whereas Physics SL is relatively hard.

However, I call taking 'Physics HL' and another science insanity, :P. So, if you dont have major difficulties in sciences, then go for CHEM HL and PHYSICS SL.

Think about your career, if it requires physics HL then you have to take it whether or not it was the hardest. :)

In fact, many people I know dropped out from Physics HL 2 months after because it was way to hard and demanding along with the other subjects.