Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to change my Math Studies Sl exam from the November session to the May session of 2010?

I'm currently in IB1 and I'm really considering doing my Math Studies SL exams in May 2010 instead of November 2010 to give me more time to focus on other subjects. Is this possible? Is it to late to do so? (I've heard IB likes to know things heaps in advanced). Would anyone recommend doing this?

The best person to ask would be your IB coordinator man/woman. The potential problems are firstly that you may still have to pay to sit this exam in November because it may be too late to withdraw, and secondly that there may have been a deadline for applying for the May exams and it may be too late to enter. As I'm not 100% about what the deadlines are, but your IBC will be as they have to deal with them every year (and will have to sort out yours too!) it may be best to talk to them about it. I imagine it'd probably be fine for entering the exam in May - but if the withdrawal from the November exams is too late, you may have to pay a bit extra for the "resit".

The other problem which you may or may not have considered is that a lot of schools don't run two sessions, so you'd have to check your school is registered to run a May session as well as a November one. Oh and also that all your Studies coursework has been completed in time for May as opposed to in time for November. So you may want to talk to your teacher as well as your IBC :D

All in all though, I think you're on the money with that one! The big problem about the IB is having to do it all in such a tiny space of time, and doing anything early is giving yourself a big leg up for your final exam session.

EDIT: Just realised you meant November 2010 instead of 2009 :B In which case ignore that part of the problem :P It's madness if it's not okay to pull out of it over a year in advance!

• Like 1

If you plan on doing the exam six months earlier, REMEMBER to alert your teacher and complete all of your internal assessments for math before the deadline. Generally, the deadlines are FAR earlier than the exam themselves (for my school, which sits the 2010 exams, we have to hand in our internal assessments by mid-March), so it's pivotal to also sort this out with your teacher.

Edited by greaterthaninfinity