Sign in to follow this  

What subject to take as EE?

Hello everyone,

I've been now in IB for 3 weeks and it is time to decide what EE topic to take. For some odd reason our school has taken up a system that every teacher gets up to 5 students at one subject.. So history is taken already :/ So my question is from these 2, which would you prefer.

Mathematics

Biology

Pros and cons are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Karl

It isn't really what we prefer that's important, after all, you'll be the one doing the EE.

What is your stronger subject, and also, which do you think you'll ENJOY doing more? If you don't like the topic then the EE will be a real drag to complete. I'd also recommend searching some potential subjects and seeing if anything sounds interesting to you.

Here are some tips for the EE:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/International_Baccalaureate/Extended_Essay_Tips#Picking_a_Topic

Good luck :D

Maths is hard to get a high grade in as an EE subject, so I'd definitely go for Biology as although you do ideally have to do an experiment and it's not hugely easy to score highly, it's generally accepted that it's easier than mathematics :P

Also, your school has probably gone 5 students per teacher (we actually had 2 students per teacher) because they, as your supervisor, will also be putting in a bit of effort. Having more than 5 EEs to supervise, advise on, meet up with the students for AND check through would be a royal pain!

Thanks guys!

Well I also got english A2 and Russian and Estonian :P Which in first I am not good at. Russian is even worse :P and estonian has to have all kind of paper work done... So I could take english A2 also... What to expect from English?

You can find out just about all you need to know in the EE guide, which can be found here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=109

I would find English A2 much easier. It'll fall in the Group 2 category, which is nice because candidates taking English A2 and English B [HL and SL] will be in the same category so you have an advantage there, even if your English isn't perfect.

However, like Taigan said, you should do your EE in the subject you're interested in. Group 2 [your English A2] EEs give you a lot of leeway--you can write about so much, from culture to literature to the language itself. I'd think they're a lot easier than science and math EEs.