Some advice on World Lit.

aliab

Hi everyone! I am trying to write about forbidden love in both "House of Spirits" by Isabel Allende and "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel. In LWFC i will obviously write about Tita and Perdo (their hidden relationship, communication, etc.) I also want to write about gestrudis and her own kind of love for independence and freedom. I could also mention Mama Elena and her tragic background. In HOS I will focus mainly on Pedro and Blanca, i will aslo mention Alba and Miguel. My question here, should i focus on all the relationships and discuss how frobidden love was portrayed in both books? Or should I focus on one example from each book only and just mention the rest? thanks.

My world lit topic is about relationships and while i was finding information from the books i found that there was so much to say about just the main relationships that i focused on them. That way you can go into much greater depth. However i haven't read your books so i'm not entirely sure what the best thing to do is. If you feel that it's important to look at all the relationships then you probably should.

Is this the WL1 [if you're in English HL]? If it's WL2, then you pretty much need a literary device/technique that you're analyzing the effects of. Also, I think it's best to focus on one couple in each book, like Biowiz said. Too much going on otherwise. You don't really need to mention the other couples because if you just say it in passing, it has no value really. Try to find something in addition to forbidden love to compare the couples. If you can't you can still write a good essay. One more thing, you don't have to use the main couple in each work. Hope that was helpful.

Biowiz: Yes, i think your right, its only 1400 words, so i will just focus on one couple, that will make it easier. Thanks!

sweetnsimple786: I was thinking whether i should write about rebellion in addition, but then that would be a bit too much, but then, I wont know till i try. Thanks a lot!

When you put it like that, yeah writing about forbidden love and rebellion as separate topics would be a bit much, but I was thinking if you could meld those two into one thing. I was asked if perhaps Tita and Pedro loved each other because they couldn't be together. Would their love have been as strong if it was allowed? Maybe the Mama Elena obstacle strengthened their relationship, or maybe the intense feelings were partially fueled because they were being rebellious. It was an interesting, valid point. I don't know if you can find a relevant point in HoS to relate that to.