Do any of these things count for CAS?

Shannon

I had a few ideas of things I'd like to do as well as things I'm going to be doing this year and I was wondering if any of them might count for CAS:

- I'm in my school's book club, and we discuss a book each month. Could this count for creativity?

- Could hikes with Environmental Club count for active?

- I know that activities advocating a religion don't count (such as teaching religious education at my church), but could making the lessons plans for this count for creativity, or is any religious-related activity not allowed?

- Learning an instrument - would this be allowed for creativity, if it was outside of school?

- If I took a language course at a college over the summer, could this count for creativity?

- Could writing stories count for creativity even though it's individual and there wouldn't be a supervisor?

I had a few ideas of things I'd like to do as well as things I'm going to be doing this year and I was wondering if any of them might count for CAS:

- I'm in my school's book club, and we discuss a book each month. Could this count for creativity?

yes

- Could hikes with Environmental Club count for active?

yes

- I know that activities advocating a religion don't count (such as teaching religious education at my church), but could making the lessons plans for this count for creativity, or is any religious-related activity not allowed?

yes, they can count for creativity. volunteering in your church or volunteering at church related activites count as service.

- Learning an instrument - would this be allowed for creativity, if it was outside of school?

yes. Make sure you have a valid supervisor [preferably an adult not related to you.]

- If I took a language course at a college over the summer, could this count for creativity?

yeah. Our hours count from the summber before IB1 until the spring of IB2.

- Could writing stories count for creativity even though it's individual and there wouldn't be a supervisor?

you could ask your supervisor. People have done it before.

For most of these, it may depend on the CAS coordinator. Some are more solid than others, but it's up to him/her to accept or reject the activites.

I think you should be fine with your activites. the writing might be harder to convince, but it's possible as long as your stories benefit others... so if you could share them with little kids?

Hello,

"- I'm in my school's book club, and we discuss a book each month. Could this count for creativity?" - Yes. If this is really a club for which you spend your out of school time, the it counts for creativity I would say.

"- Could hikes with Environmental Club count for active?" - Yes.

"- I know that activities advocating a religion don't count (such as teaching religious education at my church), but could making the lessons plans for this count for creativity, or is any religious-related activity not allowed?" - I am not familiar with the religious part of CAS, but I would say that this is creativity and service. You are helping out the people afterall.

"- Learning an instrument - would this be allowed for creativity, if it was outside of school?" - Definitely!

"- If I took a language course at a college over the summer, could this count for creativity?" - This one I am not sure about.. I guess, but not 100% sure.

"- Could writing stories count for creativity even though it's individual and there wouldn't be a supervisor?" - A supervisor is needed for all your activities.

I hope this helps! :P

Thanks for the answers! I read in the IB handbook on my school's website that if an activity advocates a religion, it doesn't count for CAS hours. So that's why I was wondering about teaching religious education classes. Has anyone else heard of this, or is this only my school that does this?

I think that the religous idea is only in the new cas syllabus. I'm doing the new sylabus, but we're the first year group at our school to do so. Our cas coordinater told us to stay away from any church related activity just to be sure. But it really depends which system of cas you're doing.

Uhh haha this religion thing might mess me up...

But does your church do any like activites that are free for all where converting someone isn't even subtly on the adgenda? I mean maybe "advocating" includes a lot more than that, but my "church" unofficially sponsors community sports team for the spring and fall and summer from time to time. open to whoever. no religion involved. =)

also, for the no supervisor thing, I think there might be special circumstances under which your CAS coordinator may allow you to log in hours without a supervisor. I hope you picked up on the possibilty of this because it will depend on how you ask your coordinator and what he/she is like.

Um... Any of this would count for CAS at my school. The supervisor could be a fellow student who's taking creative writing lessons or whatever if you really need one.

Half my CAS supervisors are actually my friends:

- student council chairman

- chief editor of the school's news paper

- the chinese guy teaching me calligraphy etc...

Edited by Vahl

School newspaper I would assume would count for CAS... I got CAS hours for writing an article for the school paper, so it's pretty similar. And the calligraphy thing should count for creativity hours. Just make sure you don't have supervisors that are related to you, they don't really like to count those activities as legit.

I'm super busy but I'm trying to find some CAS hours that I can easily do at home in the little spare time that I have, and I've been thinking about knitting or crocheting something. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this a CAS activity? Could I donate the items I make to a charity or something? If anyone's done something similar it'd be cool to hear ideas! :P

I'm super busy but I'm trying to find some CAS hours that I can easily do at home in the little spare time that I have, and I've been thinking about knitting or crocheting something. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this a CAS activity? Could I donate the items I make to a charity or something? If anyone's done something similar it'd be cool to hear ideas! :P

Sounds cool! Yes, donating them to a charity will work. You could even make something for your school or your teachers' classrooms. I haven't done anything of the sort, and I can only stitch the necessities haha. Umm you could also make your project kinda like an ad/propaganda for a good cause. I know it's got to be time consuming, so I don't know how well that would work out. I was thinking of taking two Popsicle sticks and gluing them to make an X and stitching around them and then selling those to raise money for a cancer walk we were doing. We made wish bracelets and sold those too. To make them, you take thin, sturdy sting and weave two pieces of it, adding about 5 to 6 beads as you weave. And make different kinds with different colors and combos. That worked pretty well, but it took many people and several hours to make them.

Thanks for the tips, sweetnsimple! I looked up some different organizations in my area yesterday, and I think I'm going to donate the things I make to the Red Cross. Since they collect gently used clothing, new clothing should be even better, right? Especially handmade. :) Now I'll just have to see if someone from Red Cross can give me a supervisor's signature once I send my stuff in! :P Now to look up patterns...

I think I'm going to donate the things I make to the Red Cross. Since they collect gently used clothing, new clothing should be even better, right? Especially handmade. :)

wow! that's dedication :P

i just spent a couple of weekends volunteering there for my CAS hours

then i swapped to volunteering at a hospital :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...