Chemistry for Psychology?

Dreamer94

Do you need to take IB chemistry if you're going into psychology and it's related fields? I mainly ask this because I'm leaning towards cognitive science, and it involves studying computer science and information technology. If I don't take chemistry, then I might as well take ITGS since it might give me an advantage in college somehow.

Edited by Dreamer94

Do you need to take IB chemistry if you're going into psychology and it's related fields? I mainly ask this because I'm leaning towards cognitive science, and it involves studying computer science and information technology. If I don't take chemistry, then I might as well take ITGS since it might give me an advantage in college somehow.

ITGS is bs lol.

Chemistry will definitely help and definitely open more doors for you too. I'm pretty sure you cant do anything important with ITGS.

Moreover, you might find biopsychology more interesting than cog sci, so its good if you take chemistry.

Then again, thats just my opinion.

Hope it helped

Chemistry is very specific and might give you subtle sparks during your study where you will find that something just clicks just because you understand it. However, hormone complexity I think personally, involves a lot more than just chemistry.

I think if you are looking for a psychology related field, biology would be the best way to go since it will give you a macro-sized generalization on psychology. biolgoy itself has a topic pertaining to psychology.

But it looks like you already have that, so definitely chemistry over ITGS. and then make sure to push for psychology topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently taking HL Chemistry, and it's a good thing to take if you're applying to the UK, because sometimes they ask for lower predicted grades if you have a science at HL (and I mean like 2 or 3 points lower). I think you should definitely pick that. Plus, if you're taking two sciences, you can always choose to switch to psychiatry, which is more medical

Chemistry would look better if you were applying to the UK. Psychology is viewed by psychology teachers as a hard science (more or less) and so they're appreciative of science applicants over "soft" subject applicants, aka ITGS. On the other hand ITGS is exponentially easier to get a 7 in. The only real way to find out is to look at places you might apply to, ring up and ask (or check on their website if it's public knowledge). At the end of the day, subject choice rarely matters, provided you've met their minimum requirements in terms of getting in - although one may prove more useful to you as an individual when you're taking the course, if they don't specify Chemistry as a necessity, it's not really going to make a huge amount of difference to your application whether you take it or not. It's a small part of a long, long list of things-to-decide-with - stuff like your personal statement (in the UK) will make the biggest impact.