Sources to Use in a Group 1 EE

Shannon

If I were to write an English EE, would I only quote the works I'm examining? It seems from reading the 2009 EE guidelines that they also want you to quote prior criticisms of the works. Do I have to do this? Do you think it would be better to do this? Just wondering. Thanks.

I think the best thing to do is to reference any source where you get ideas from. Even if it is something that just gave you an idea, that way you'll be covered. If you want to mention someone else's idea in your essay then you can quote it. If you think that prior criticisms will help you i think that you should use them, but remember that a good EE has original ideas which will be easier to achieve if you make sure all your ideas are your own.

I'm also doing a group 1 EE and they do want you to mainly talk about your own opinions but considering other people's readings of your works and their opinions is an important part of any literary essay, especially the EE. I think you would be marked down if you didn't look at other readings.

I believe that you can use only the work you're writing about and make a decent grade, but the guide does suggest that using other primary and secondary sources, where appropriate, can enhance the quality of the EE. You're doing Shakespeare, right? If you say that he says __________, then it might be useful to find something else he's written that supports this idea [which I think you're already doing?]. If you find someone who has studied Shakespeare and said that the playwright did not mean to say _____ at all but rather he didn't mean anything of it, then you can argue/defend your point further by addressing recurring motifs or something. Overall, primary has more value than secondary, as you probably know. I wouldn't spend too much time searching for secondary. =)

• Like 1