Motivation! Motivation! Motivation!

lastminuteman

Hi all,

There's about one month left before the finals: how did/do you stay motivated studying for the finals?

I'm a big sufferer of apathy, a big procrastinator and a big youtube binger. Obviously I'm not asking for your direct motivation (is that possible over the internet somehow?) but some tips would be very well appreciated.

I just thought that I didn't want to fail, go to a crappy university, be the laughing stock of my class and be a school failure. That spurred me on. Oh and make sure you lock yourself up in a soundproof room with no distractions (maybe not even a window), I thought it was rather easy to get distracted.

• Like 1

Put all the stuff that get you distracted out of the way. Turn your mobile off, move your laptop to another room. What gets me motivated (and I've said this in another thread) is thinking of competition in my class. Once I know that I want to beat someone, I have the motivation to get to work. I know it sounds weird, but it really does help, especially since I'm so competitive. The hardest part is sitting on your desk. Also, listening to music while I study helps me stay put in one place.

• Like 1

I'm motivated by goals that I've set (ie: certain results), competition with others, and then I also think to myself about there only being like a year to go (for me), I need to finish whatever it is I'm working on, I chose IB, therefore I just try my best to do it and work hard and solidly at it. Speaking of which, I think it's time I go do some Math haha

• Like 1

I'm really like Taigan and Aboo. I just can't live with the thought that another student in my class(that I don't really like) who might not be working as hard as I am, may get into a better university than me!

Believe that you CAN be the top student in your class, believe that you'll do great at your final exams and that you won't let anyone but you to get into the BEST university!

Good luck! :P

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I listen to youtube music all the time too. What I do to stop switching music is just download music i like from youtube's flv cache through something like zamzar, and then i convert it and put it into a repeating playlist. Its not illegal because you were provided with the flv cache, since google owns youtube. What also may help is using a web service like Pandora, where you don't have to download the songs. Of course, the downside is they dont' have all of the songs on such services.

I find that i usually work better when listening to music only when what i am doing does not require intense concentration and is something I enjoy. I could not write an essay and play music at the same time :P

• 3 months later...

Fear. Lots and lots of fear. Fear of failure, of not getting the best grades which means not getting a scholarship which means not going to the US which means I AM NOT GOING TO MESS UP MY CHANCES.

I loved it and be using this but for you I think getting motivated is all about commanding yourself by saying these kind of things, I think this can help your putting your computer aside and stop procrastinating(:

Well, if you plan on going to graduate school then you will need good grades-so thats a big motivator...also, if you get bad grades then you might be kicked out (well thats what it is like in the U.S). Furthermore the better your grades at the university, the better of a chance at getting a job later in life.

• Like 1

Much logic has been spoken.

This time you have left until exams is now no more than one simple month of your life. It's nothing. Isolate yourself, switch off your phone and kill the internet. Ask someone to take apart the intestines of your computer. Don't even think of coming back to IB Survival until you're done.

I'd actually too encourage you to compeet with your classmates. It does not have to be about anything other but just the winning itself, but me and my viet friend bet 10 swedish crowns (appx. 1,4 USD) on who recieves the highest score, for all assessments we have in common. Even though the profit is small, the competition is very promoting. We have a 500 SEK bet on the exams lol.

Ah and don't forget to have the windows open for fresh air hahah.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you are having trouble with distracting websites like youtube and faceboook you can block them... I don't have enough willpower to stay off facebook so I use leechblock which you can get if you have firefox and it blocks certain sites... or you could get a trusted friend to change your facebook password.

• Like 1

How to stay motivated ... honestly, you should know why, or strive to find out on your own.

Here are a few things that motivate me:

• being better than other people (competition so to speak)
  • getting recognized
  • going to a respected university
  • impressing my others such as parents, cousins, and friends

If all else fails:

• Killing time

• Like 1

What motivates me? I'm in this silent competition with my sister. We re both aspiring to be top of the line surgeons like my grandfather. However, none of my family believes I can achieve taking the oath except my father and his girlfriend. My grandfather refuses to pay for my university but is giving my younger sister the golden path to the prestigious University of Notre Dame and full funds. What motivates me? The thought of being able to put on the white coat at my ceremony, looking my sister in the eye and knowing that I did it by myself with no ones help but my own.

• Like 2