Mathematics HL test on Trig1, Quadratic eqns and inequalities, Functions

Bishup

Before Half-term, which is in just over 2 weeks time, I have a Maths HL test on Trig1, Quadratics and Functions. At this stage, 1 month and 2 weeks in IB1 should we have covered these topics or are we slightly behind? And also what is the best way to prepare? To plough through the questions in my book and have a look at some past paper questions involving that or maybe question banks? Any minor help will be greatly appreciated. I know this might sound a bit vague but I'd like to know some things before my test.

We can't tell you if you're behind because each school has a different method of approaching the syllabus. My school did the syllabus in a different order than the order in which it is written out. It's usually a mad dash to the finish in Maths HL so each teacher attacks the syllabus in the way in which they believe is the best approach.

I suppose with the subject matter that you've mentioned, you'd be best off to have actually covered that by now.

And since you've only just started IB, you should look through the textbook and do all the questions which pertain to the content of the test. I'd say it's slightly early to tackle past paper questions.

Haha that seems like a big test. Grouping trig with the other two.. I guess there's always the graphing component...

But anyways, Aboo's right. The most that I could do is tell you what I covered in the first 1.5 months, but that wouldn't be relevant because 1. I'm in SL and 2. We don't go by the syllabus but we end up covering it in one year.

I'd make sure that I could do everything on the syllabus under those topics. Then I'd make sure I can do all the homework the teacher assigned. Then I'd make sure I can do past paper questions under those topics.

For trig, what annoys me is when you have sin(3x) = 1/2 or whatever and I forget that there are 6 solutions when the range is from 0 to 2pi, so remember that :)

If the test has graphing, know how to do transfigurations well. Like when you add an absolute value just around the x or when you add it around the f(x). I hope you know what I'm talking about.. haha

And don't divide by x if you have like 3x = x3

That's about it for the random advice :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...