CAS ideas?

So, I've recently learned that I have to do 150 hours of CAS! Would really appreciate some ideas as to what I should do. What are you doing/did???

What I currently do:

Creativity-

I have played violin for 7 years (am terrible). Can I count lessons or anything towards my CAS hours even though it's not a new activity?

I learn Japanese outside of school with a uni student tutoring me. Does it count?

Action-

I have played netball for 5 months of the year outside school for a number of years... again, can I count it even though I've done it before?

Ideas please!

Service-

Ideas please!

I have been thinking about studying Law post-IB... is there any way I can count relevant work experience? Any suggestions as to CAS activities that would be relevant to the study of Law?

Thanks guys. I'm still extremely new and clueless about IB! :P

Edited by Mahuta ♥
You dont have to 'WRIIIITE LIKE THIIISSS!!!!' It makes it less welcoming to read. :) We give the same type of help without this style of writing.

I wanted too add that you shouldn't worry about creativity and especially action as they are the easiest ones to be filled!

For service though it might be tough.

For me it isn't as my school has a list from where we choose 2 activities to do as a regular Service commitment.

Some of them are : help an institute with children that have a mental problem, work with the school for the blind, dorm tutoring, soup kitchen (every Saturday or Sunday we give food to the homeless or other people in need)

and many other activities I just can't remember right now! :P

Hope the info was useful!

Creativity-

I have played violin for 7 years (am terrible). Can I count lessons or anything towards my CAS hours even though it's not a new activity?

answer: for us, learning an instrument counts as creativity as it is taking an active role etc etc.

I learn Japanese outside of school with a uni student tutoring me. Does it count?

answer: if you don't study jap as a subject then i guess so. its pushing it but it really depends on whether your coordinator considers learning a language as "creative thinking"

Personally for creativity i mainly did piano and i also made posters etc. for fundraisers and the like

Action-

I have played netball for 5 months of the year outside school for a number of years... again, can I count it even though I've done it before?

answer: well i did gymnastics & gym and both were accepted by my coordinator.

not really sure of what else you could do other than sport. maybe being involved in particular projects and team activities?

Service-

ahhh. volunteering is the best way to go

not sure where you could volunteer that would relate to law but i volunteered at my local vinnies and hospital to clock up some hours. basically just walk around your local neighbourhood and check out where you would like to volunteer - and when you ask don't forget to mention its FREE.

i also claimed hours from social group involvement (eg. amnesty international etc)and being involved in fundraisers~

hope that helped somehow

Edited by Mahuta ♥

Basically, for action, just play any sport you can think of really :( If you like Netball, well play it, or if you want to try a new sport, maybe find a new sport to play! I knew nothing about rogaining before CAS, then I participated in it and found it to be quite good!

For Service, it's all about volunteering and helping the less fortunate. At my school, volunteering was offered for the local nursing home, the pony club, tree planting and working bees. I also participated in some fundraising events in Melbourne such as a fun run type event, I got 13 hours for it too :D

For Creativity, there are lots of things to do if you look hard to find them. I did hat making, I organised a trivia night and I organised a bake sale and cooked lots of things! If you enjoy acting, and your school has a drama department that put on plays, maybe act in the play! whether it's a small role or large, you will get hours for it.

good luck :D

• 1 month later...

What I'm doing right now for CAS is

- Taking mandarin lessons outside of school every Saturdays,

- Learning to ride my bicycle (hehe, I know I'm old for not knowing how to ride a bicycle but hey, that's how bad I suck ! :P)

- Working at the primary school I used to be before :) !

Haha, I've played violin too but I quitted *no specific reasons really*, anyway, off subject.

Of all the CAS activities you do, what my school taught us was that one of the three activities has to be something new, so if you're starting something new in somewhere else than Creativity, then it's quite alright ! The only important thing is that you need to have a supervisor that's not part of your family and that's over 18 .. Again, that's my school's policy, don't know about yours. :/

If you want to do your service in the area of law, you should apply a work experience thing of 2 years at a lax firm near your house or something like that. I did that last year for my work experience and it worked on quite well ! :)

Some ideas of action : Soccer, Dance (Creativity AND Action that one), Tennis, Basketball, well all the sports you can find really ..

service : Working at a restaurant, helping out in the library, helping out with the teachers at your school, going to some environmental gathering to plant trees at a park during your free time, engage yourself in helping out the hospital or a nursery home etc.

Want some more ? xP

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Violin lessons definitely count. I think it's even better that you've been doing it for a while because it shows commitment and that you're not just doing the activity to satisfy the IB's requirements, but you genuinely have a passion for the violin/music/learning. As for learning Japanese, it would depend on whether or not your supervisor would allow it. There's no harm in asking if you can include it though since you'll keep doing it regardless of whether or not it's acceptable.

Netball also sounds good. Honestly you can do anything that involves at least a moderate level of physical exertion - I even have a hiking club listed in my Action activities! Of course most school sports activities are an obvious choice but you can also do one-off things like running a marathon (and perhaps training for it, if you can find an adult to do it with you and count as your supervisor!)

As for Service, honestly any charity work or anything that contributes to the community counts. Good activities really vary by context but there are always many opportunities everywhere. You could volunteer at an orphanage or tutor people or organize a fund-raising event for charity.

[quote name=veritas :P' date='Oct 02, 2009 - 16:55' timestamp='1254473744' post='57821]

I have been thinking about studying Law post-IB... is there any way I can count relevant work experience? Any suggestions as to CAS activities that would be relevant to the study of Law?

I think the most obvious would be any debate team or extracurricular activity at your school. You could also try speech competitions or something similar.