History IA: Question Phrasing

eppe

Hey everyone.

I'm starting to work on my History IA and I have had my topic for a while, but I can't find enough reasons to answer the question I had set myself. I am planning to do it on the Lateran Treaties of 1929, and started off with "Why did the Holy See sign the Lateran Treaties of 1929?" but that has kind of failed. Any suggestions from those of you who know the time period? Thanks! :D

also, I could easily have my Plan B on something to do with Mussolini's 'March on Rome', any worthwile research questions for that?

I didn't do history to know the time period or indeed much about the IA, but have you tried thinking of it backwards? As in starting with the answers instead of the question. Find the stuff you want to talk about, write it down and list it out somehow and then try and find a question to slot it into - also that way you'll have started planning it all out rather than feeling bad and wasting precious time feeling stressed about finding a research question. You may have tried this already, but often just approaching it from a different angle yields some good results - and of course ensures that you'll have no problem with getting enough answers!

Also, and this is the same for any subject, as you have to come up with your own RQ for the piece of coursework, I'm afraid IB Survival's members aren't going to pitch in in terms of inventing one for you. However, when you've come up with a search question (or series of research questions you're trying to decide between) people will be more than happy to give out feedback! :D

Just so you know, that is one of the most perfect research questions I have ever seen. It's original, limited and focused. I'm not sure what your problem is, that's a great question. If you really want to limit it even more, you can do "To what extent did X factor affect the decision of the Holy See to sign the Lateran Accords of 1929".

If I were you, I would pick this question because a) it's a Paper 3 exam question (not this specifically, but it will help your Mussolini knowledge), b) It's a great question. GO FOR IT!! :D

Just so you know, that is one of the most perfect research questions I have ever seen. It's original, limited and focused. I'm not sure what your problem is, that's a great question. If you really want to limit it even more, you can do "To what extent did X factor affect the decision of the Holy See to sign the Lateran Accords of 1929".

If I were you, I would pick this question because a) it's a Paper 3 exam question (not this specifically, but it will help your Mussolini knowledge), b) It's a great question. GO FOR IT!! :D

ok sounds good, I'll give it another go...the problem was mainly that I couldn't find enough resources on the topic, but I'll look further now. Btw you're the first person I've seen who takes exactly the same subjects as me XD

Ooo, freaky. Well, just from a general knowledge of the time period, here's some stuff I know (which you may already know):

- Italy pretty much robbed the Church when Italy was founded

- Therefore, the Pope was ticked

--> Mussolini offered them their own country (yep, Musso created the Vatican City), and a ton of money

---> All the Church had to do was stop preventing people from voting (because the Church didn't recognize Fascist Italy, they told all the Catholics i.e. 99% of Italy to stop voting)

Obviously be more precise than that. If you really can't find anything, how about "Even though Mussolini was already in power, why did he still stage the March on Rome?"

Edited by Jakebert

As long as your question allows for sufficient analysis then it should be fine. You have to make sure that in answering your question you're not just spouting off other peoples writing. If you find yourself doing this, then you need to change your question to "evaluate the significance of X in the signing of the treaties" or "To what extent was X responsible for the signing of the treaties" From what I have heard these sorts of questions seem to be better received in general.