Oral Presentation Question

KyleAdams

I am in English A1 HL, and we just did our first oral presentation as practice for our IA. My teacher took off nearly a third of my points, saying that my ideas weren't fresh and original, because I had used them in my Commentary for the same novel. Is that really a problem? The two things were on overlapping topics, so it only seems reasonable to reuse it since it was a great topic.

We're not even using the same texts for the Commentary and Presentation. I think it is sort of a taboo. IB wants to see you analyze, and it's kinda like a cop out if you're using the same or similar topics, you know? Sorry bout your grade, but try looking at the novel(s) in a new light, through a new filter. You may amaze yourself at what you find.

Technically, unless you're handing in both the commentary AND your oral as some form of final assessment, it shouldn't count, and if you decided you wanted to submit that oral your teacher would be grossly unfair to keep the marks off. On the other hand you can't do two IAs on the same topic (not really...), so if you were using them both somehow obviously you can't have the same general ideas just in two different formats.

Anyway you said this was a practice oral, so why worry? :D