English EE

KyleAdams

As far as I know, an English EE is basically an extended World Lit but it can be on any book that you like. That said, please don't do one on Harry Potter or the Twilight series, they're overdone since they're hugely popular in their own rights.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slightly insulted! My EE is about Harry Potter :P

It was a bit difficult to formulate a research question for Harry Potter... But considering I really (REALLY) wanted to do my essay on something I loved (to create a bit of a refreshing getaway in the midst off all the IB crazy nonsense pain) I worked hard to find a good way to analyze the Harry Potter series without appearing rediculous or... childish.

Anyway getting back to my point - if you want to do your EE on Harry Potter by all means do so, but you have to find an intellectual angle to do it from... Because you can't just say something like "the use of water imagery in Harry Potter" because Harry Potter is not a literary masterpiece packed full of literary features that you can just pick out... It's more of a thematic series, So you have to play to its strengths. Am I making any sense here?

Harry Potter is a childrens book... it isn't a classic (though it has recieved plenty of acclaim) so it will be much harder to write a literature essay on it. But you still can do it. What you need to do is not have your essay based ONLY on the HP series, you need to let it be more of a comparison.

I'm writing mine on the classic hero's journey in HP7, with consideration to the hero with 1000 faces. I was originally going to compare HP to Hamlet, but I couldn't because i wanted to write my WL2 on hamlet. So you know that's an idea for you if you want - compare it to any of the books from the A1 course.

Anyway let me know if I've gone on here a bit... but I definately think that you should write your essay on Harry Potter if you really really want to do so. Because it's not a bad piece of writing. Though I do agree with not doing it on the twilight series because honestly... *bleagh*

So yeah here ends my essay on why I chose HP7 to.. um... write my actual essay on! :hug: good luck!

Edit: (2 minutes later...) I have actually written my clean draft and I have a C leaning on a B, if that helps... The weaknesses aren't even with the topic it's just the presentation and the lack of sources. Just for the record :)

Edited by aya91

• 2 weeks later...

I would not feel hestiant to use Harry Potter as a choice for your EE. In fact, my Theory of Knowledge teacher, who has been teaching ToK, and helping students with EE for many years, suggested it to me last year.

I agree that for Harry Potter you'd have to dig a little deeper than just the surface and obvious things. However there is a lot to consider in the novel.

My EE was similar to the above example, although with some slight variations. My extended essay dealt with the Hero Quest in both Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. I was surprised at how many similarities there were between the two heroes. I discussed not just HP7, but all of the books, as well as all three Lord of the Rings books. At lot of reading, yes, but in the end my essay turned out wonderfully.

Follow your instincts, and if you think you could talk about Harry Potter in depth for 4000 words, go for it, there really is a lot that could be talked about! Or even, try and compare it to something else!

Hope everything goes well for you!

p.s. don't use twilight as your choice novel though, that's a horrible mistake.

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback. It is still a topic of interest, and I really enjoy reading the Harry Potter series, so it seems like and excellent choice for me. I don't have to write my essay for a year though, so I still have a while to think of a topic. I really just want to make the decision now instead of later, because I know it will be a long decision to make.