IB Score Submissions to colleges in the US

Matthew Sinclair

I've been having a look at college websites and it seems that January 1 is the final submission for all parts of the application. I'm a November candidate, therefore scores are released on the 5th of January. Will I only be able to submit my predicted grades? Or will they let you submit the final grades when they are announced? (I'm thinking they would!). It would be stupid if they didn't haha.

Your predicted grades can be added as "additional information," but where it asks for IB scores, you would leave that blank and explain your situation. Then you could submit your IB scores later, once you've been accepted [hopefully] if you want credits for those subjects or just mail in the scores once they come, but your scores won't be that important, I'm thinking. None of the May 2011 candidates will have their scores so if you show your scores to be great, they'll probably be impressed, but they won't really be able to compare you to others. As for predicted scores, well, the unis don't know how reliable they are, ya know? But anyways, you should be able to submit your scores after you turn your app in, but I would email an admissions officer about a month or so ahead of when you're planning on turning your application in and clarify it with him/her.

Edit: When I said "leave that blank and explain your situation," I meant explain it in the "additional information" section, if there is one. Or you could attach a piece of paper at the end of a paper application or a word doc at the end of an online one.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

I've been having a look at college websites and it seems that January 1 is the final submission for all parts of the application. I'm a November candidate, therefore scores are released on the 5th of January. Will I only be able to submit my predicted grades? Or will they let you submit the final grades when they are announced? (I'm thinking they would!). It would be stupid if they didn't haha.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I think most colleges will let us submit the final grades when they are announced, but I've heard from many people that the colleges actually don't weigh your final grades as high as other factors, such as your extra- curricular and class rank.

• 1 month later...

In the US, your scores do not really matter as much as you may think. Simply, you are admitted under the notion that you will at least pass (and some colleges dont care if you do). Most of them have a system to fall back on where, if you dont get your diploma the credits that you will be given are set high. This would be something like UF for example (university of Florida cause its in my state), where IB kids that fail only get credits of 5 or higher on their HL classes.

The predicted scores and actual scores are of no importance really. Simply they are your credits that will be considered under acceptance. Same thing with AP scores. US regular students dont get them till way after acceptance (especially with early decision/action deadlines being in November or December), and only later do you get to consider using your credits.

It is true that your activities will be weighed heavily - very heavy actually! So make you that is what you focus on. My class never talked about predicted scores. and if you do make sure you can back it up. Please state that your teacher has been tracking your progress for example, instead of just listing grade values. This will give meaning to your predictions.

Best of luck :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to ask:

Apart from the extra-curricular activities which seem to be extremely important, how important are SAT I and SAT II scores?

I'm not quite sure what to expect from my SAT I results, but IF I do the SAT II well(Chemistry and Math Level 2) would I have a chance at some better rated US Universities/colleges?

Depends on the college. Some don't even require SAT2.

Many times, in the really competitive schools, your SAT scores get you in the door, but the rest of your application gets you admitted.

Anyways, you can look on the school's website and it will probably have some statistics of what what the median scores were for their students.

And yes, if the college looks at SAT2 scores, you'll definitely be better off if you score well.

I do need to say this though--you are not your test score! You can have a bad score and still get admitted, but it's harder.

And you can have perfect scores and be rejected.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all of your replies...I can't believe I forgot to reply and say thanks at the time.

Another Question: How do you actually send your IB scores???? At school, we were given a form and we were only allowed to request our scores/transcripts to be sent to ONE American institution...how am I supposed to send it to all of the 10 on my list???? I've already spoken to my IB coordinator and she seems to think it will cost me and she said she can't do it until next week cause my town is flooding atm.

Also, I doubt it, but does anyone applying to Australia know if it's too late to send scores to QTAC and VTAC??

I'm not sure.

Can you report the scores you got yourself? With AP scores, you don't have to get the officials to send them while you're still going through the application process. Then once you're accepted into some colleges and enroll in one of them, there's no problem because you won't send the official scores to the unis you're not going to attend. I think US colleges will be okay with you self-reporting your scores.

• Like 1