How do you get into Pre-IB grade 9

Jeff

I want to get into Pre-IB and I feel lost.

I know that there's an Info night, but I want to know if there are entrance exams and etc.

If there are how do I not fail them, what subjects should I review and if it helps I'm going to Bayview SS, and feel that my current school sucks :) (I'm in grade 8. I'll ask my french teacher for vocab sheets, and eng teacher for extra help. My average last term was 82%.

If you could plz give my advice on where to go from there in preparing for Pre-IB it would be greatly appreciated, like, did any of you wish that you had done anything in grade 8 that would've helped you better prepare for IB and also, could you please recommend an online guide for the entrance exam(I'm sort of broke)

Edited by Jeff

I finished grade 9 pre-IB last year and i'm in grade 10 pre-IB right now. At our school, the entrance exam was an SSAT test, and the sections that were on it were Verbal Reasoning (like analogies and word definitions), Math, and Reading Comprehension (or something like that). I had a great book to help prepare for the test that gave practice questions and 2 practice tests, in the same style as you would see on the SSAT. I can't remember the exact name though, but it was called the Princeton Review or something like that. However, you should start preparing early so you can get as much practice as possible.

I also suggest trying to raise your average in the next term, as admission is competitive (My school had around 240 people competing for 110 spots when I applied). Keep up any extracurricular activities that you do as well; they like to see that you're well-rounded and have other interests.

If you prepare and have confidence in yourself, I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

• Like 2

It depends on your school..I'm not sure what Bayview does for entrance into pre-IB but I went to St. Robert CHS and we had to write a standardized test (the CAT), have a reference letter from a teacher, and write an essay on why we wanted to be in IB.

And don't start stressing about pre-IB yet, it's really the same as the normal academic stream pretty much. Nothing to worry about until you actually go into IB.

• 3 weeks later...

What a coincidence, right now I'm a grade 9 pre-IBer at Bayview. :)

In terms of applying for pre-IB, the most important thing is if the program is a good fit for you. If it isn't, you won't enjoy it AT ALL. Are you lopsided? Would you like to specialize in a particular subject area (math, science, etc.) or are you very well-rounded and excel across the board? If you're into specialization, you might want to consider Richmond Hill High School's AP Program - in terms of difficulty it's supposed to be equal, but you chose the subjects you want to do at AP level. Just wondering, are you Gifted? If you are, RHHS should be your home school...and if you are in RHHS's region, you would be an auto admit.

Basically, IB is like a liberal arts education. Works for some people, doesn't for others. So yes, go to the information meeting, and see if the program is for you before applying.

In terms of applying, you need to submit grade 7 and 8 report cards along with a teacher's recommendation. They prefer to see 80%+ (although I do know people who have gotten 78% average and still gotten in!), so you're fine on that regard. Make sure the recommendation is good though - they really do consider it (and it should be your homeroom teacher).

In terms of the test, there isn't much you can study, especially since the test is two months away. It's general knowledge and aptitude - last year, they divided it into English, French, and Math. English was definitely the easiest of the three, and a general consensus is that the school made the French section pretty hard. I can't really judge, as I was in a French program for a couple of years :o Math was hands down the hardest for me, it's not so much that the actual questions are difficult, they just don't give you enough time. A speed test, if you will. :)

Keep in mind that the school is mainly looking for consistency - they'd take the person who scored in the 80s for all three sections over the person who got 70, 90, 80, even though they have the same average. Also, every year the acceptance rate has just become lower and lower - last year there was 650+ (almost 700? I forgot :)) battling for ~100 spots. So yes, quite competitive.

Good luck! (and hopefully I'll see you here next year :P)

Edited by Wisteria
  • Like 3

I did the SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) from Kaplan. My exam was literally photocopied from those practice guides they sell in bookstores. It was basically a test of essential math and language skills. I say just do some SSAT practice exams. Even if your school doesn't give you the SSAT, the exam they give you should be around that level. Don't over-stress about getting into pre-IB.

Good Luck

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For me, the pre-IB grade nine admission was an essay and an exam with different sections for different subjects. At my school the admission wasn't really competitive though. I remember being extreeemely nervous, and it didn't help that I didn't know anyone else at the exam (most of the people had at least a few other friends). I'm not sure about Bayview, but good luck and I hope you got in :D !

Edited by wombat123

We didn't have a pre exam or anything. We just signed up and our coordinator and scheduler came to our 8th grade class and pulled all...3...of us into a room, signed up pre-ib classes, talked to our counselors to see if they thought we could attempt it. I think their reasoning behind no pre-exam was anyone who couldn't make would either fail out of IB (if we get an F we are kicked out of the program) or drop out of IB before even hitting IB1 because most pre-IB classes were ran by IB teachers who didn't go easy just because were freshman or sophomores. Talk to the highschool you are going to and find the coordinator and just ask, probably the easiest way to find an answer since everyone is going to give you a different answer.

I know this is really late now >< .. but i was just wondering. howd you do Jeff ? :] Hopefully the advice that people have given you here has realy helped . :]

I have my test this Saturday at Bayview and Im SO nervous . =="

I could REALLY use advice for the entrance exam .. pls? :)

Hey. I have mine on Saturday, too. And I'm EXTREMELY nervous. I hope that I get in... My in-term report card for Grade 8 wasn't so fantastic, though... I got two "progressing well" instead of "very well", and for my learning skills, I got three G's and three E's. -_- My last one was much better... Do you think that'll be okay?

I'm mainly nervous about the French section. Really, really nervous. What are you studying? I'm just cramming right now. Do we need a lot of French vocab?

That was a lot of questions. Sorry. Maybe we can talk more later...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok how did all of you do I just checked my average today and its a 93% and I have gotten a excellent recommendation my test is November 29 but I am still freaked out I know I will do good but 800 people are also trying to get into Bayview.

I am also trying to get into Bayview this year! I am really worried about the French part! What do you do to study for the test? Are you good at French? Do you recommend any study tools? Anyone have any recommendations? 

• 2 weeks later...

I also have my pre-IB entry exam on November 29th (St. Roberts CHS), and what I did to help myself was that I took a tutoring class called Tutor Master, and they help a lot with IB tests, especially St.Robs CAT4 test, but i would not suggest it as much with the Bayview SS SSAT test, as their will be french and vocabulary. Anyways, good luck with the Bayview test guys, hope you get in!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

So I'm trying out for the Pre-IB course at Bayview this year(2015) and I was wondering about how you guys found the test. Did the SSAT and ISEE pratise books help you and would you reccomend them? Do you know of any other way to improve my score on the test. I'm still in Grade 7 so I don't know what my report card will be but based on previous experiences, it remains high. Any help at all from anyone will be most appreciated.

Practice French. The English and Math sections are easy. If you are a person who does extracurricular math - such as the CEMC - you will find the Math section a breeze. The English part - for me, at least - was just some no-brainer questions on making inferences. The French part, however, really killed. I find it unfair how hard the French section was. There was content from the French section that would not be taught until gr.10 Pre-IB French. This really does not fit the "well-rounded" standard IB has of its students. 

You are still gr.7 though and there is plenty of time. However, if you are someone who wishes to achieve, you can start preparing for pre-IB itself - not just the test - now. The school board doesn't do that good of a job to prepare gr.8 students for IB. In my gr.9 year a lot of people started the year with 70s because the math and French became hard very quickly. 

As for the report card, you don't need to worry. I don't think they care about it. 

• 3 years later...

Hello, I know this is late but I need all the help I can get!

So I am in grade 8 right now and I am applying for Colonel By Secondary School.

On my final term report card last year, I got mostly 70-78%. This year, I got a Progressing Very Well on most of my subjects except for Phys Ed and the Arts.

Would they count on the previous report card or the current progress report card?

Also, my CAT4 test is on January 19th. I am so nervous. Can you give me some advice? Please? I am very weak in writing and mathematics in the race against time! My last math quiz, I got 83%, which was the highest mark. but most of my classmates wanted a retake quiz, and on that quiz, I got 55%! I have never had a D before! I am so nervous! Help!

Math just do the ones you know extremely well, then the ones that you think that you can get but that will take time, and then the ones that you don't know.

With writing, the trick it to budget yourself time for pre-writing, use it productively, and then when that time is up just start writing whatever may be the result. Time well-spent on pre-writing actually will speed up your writing and make it better, so don't worry if you take time initially to do that. There's no silver bullet for the amount of time, but if you're writing lit. analysis I'd suggest dedicating around 1/4 to 1/3 of your allotted time to prewriting. If it were something just like a friendly letter though I might just jump into writing it after a few minutes. Also pre-writing doesn't mean you can't write. A lot of times I'd write down actual sentences from the observations I made knowing to insert them in the essay and build it around it. Or you can just jot down your observations, but they should be with the intent of incorporating them in the essay. On timed writings like these, most of your pre-writing focus should not be on deciding what argument you want to take; that should be the first thing you do and try to do it quickly. Rather, it should be sent on organization and deciding on specific pieces of evidence/arguments.