How do you get into Pre-IB grade 9

Jeff

21 hours ago, Nomenclature said:

Math just do the ones you know extremely well, then the ones that you think that you can get but that will take time, and then the ones that you don't know.

With writing, the trick it to budget yourself time for pre-writing, use it productively, and then when that time is up just start writing whatever may be the result. Time well-spent on pre-writing actually will speed up your writing and make it better, so don't worry if you take time initially to do that. There's no silver bullet for the amount of time, but if you're writing lit. analysis I'd suggest dedicating around 1/4 to 1/3 of your allotted time to prewriting. If it were something just like a friendly letter though I might just jump into writing it after a few minutes. Also pre-writing doesn't mean you can't write. A lot of times I'd write down actual sentences from the observations I made knowing to insert them in the essay and build it around it. Or you can just jot down your observations, but they should be with the intent of incorporating them in the essay. On timed writings like these, most of your pre-writing focus should not be on deciding what argument you want to take; that should be the first thing you do and try to do it quickly. Rather, it should be sent on organization and deciding on specific pieces of evidence/arguments.

That sounds like great advice. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, uhm this is a little late to say this but I'm going around old and new posts to ask these questions since I very much need multiple insights to determine my path to glory:

Hey, everyone. So... I just read up on the IB entrance exam information and everything else, its' taking place on November the 23rd, which is like, only a month away. Ngl it's way scarier and nerve wrecking when the date of the test is so close. I heard that a big portion of the admission is your grade 7 report card, but my report card from last year is horrible, 88.8 percent average for all of the subjects combined. I honestly don't know anything about the exam and all of the different subjects. In my class rn, I am probably one of the best students in the class educationally (not bragging or anything). The things I was wondering about (if any St. Robs IB students could answer) were:

1. What level/grade will the test be, like what kind of difficulty are we talking about?

2. If any of you know, what subjects will we be tested on?

3. How should I study? I currently am doing lots of PSAT tests

4. I procrastinate way more than the average gr.8 in my class, what should/can I do to stop this, or is it fine and normal to do this? (We're talking about playing videogames during boring classes and copying off of answer sheets when doing the PSATs)

5. Clearly I'm a noob when it comes to IB, what are the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to IB?

6. What is the passing score for the entrance exam? For instance, imagine if I got 85% on the test, will I pass or fail?

7. Finally, I'm feeling very nervous, my parents are expecting a lot from me since I let them down when it came to the gifted test. If I fail, my parents say I'm not getting a good job and life. I've already told my family about this, and my mom told me that being nervous is a good thing. Is it really a good thing and I don't like it, how do I not be anxious? I need a pep talk lol.

Thanks to all who took their time reading all these words and worries! Any advice would help me a ton. Thanks again for helping me!

• 6 months later...
On 11/25/2014 at 7:51 PM, Leon said:

I also have my pre-IB entry exam on November 29th (St. Roberts CHS), and what I did to help myself was that I took a tutoring class called Tutor Master, and they help a lot with IB tests, especially St.Robs CAT4 test, but i would not suggest it as much with the Bayview SS SSAT test, as their will be french and vocabulary. Anyways, good luck with the Bayview test guys, hope you get in!

it's big different between CAT4 and SSAT TEST? i am thinking to going ST robersts CHS,i am in Grade 6 and looking forward on my grade 7 study,can you give some advice? thank you!

On 12/24/2018 at 9:05 PM, Person101 said:

Would they accept those who got a B- or a B+?

If not, if you pass the CAT4 test, would they still accept you?

Hmm.. I did get 2 B’s in Grade 7/8 but I’m not sure if you have this, Learning Skills... If you do and you can complete these with good skills... the B’s would be probably weighted less.. Also not passing the test.. it’s a tough call.. do you know your mark? It really depends on the mark. 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm trying to get into the IB program at Maple High. Its currently summer break and I will be going into grade 8 in September and going to apply to IB in October. Could anyone please help me in terms of studying for it and what will be on it? I know that it will be about Math, Literacy and French but what should I study for in those areas? My average in grade 7 is 82% which isn't that high but hopefully I could get a better mark in grade 8. I'm not sure if they take grade 7 final or grade 8 progress because on the actual Maple High school website, it says they take grade 8 progress but I've heard other people say that they take grade 7 final so I'm not quite sure which one. Is there anyone that could possibly help me with this?

• 4 months later...

Hello, I am currently applying for colonel by and one of the required things that the applicants must do is the math task. My question is; what kinds of math will be on the test? I've been having a hard time preparing myself because I don't know what kinds of materials to study. Help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am in grade 8 and am looking into Pre IB options for grade 9 in Mississauga. St. Francis Xavier is the one closer to me. Could someone guide me on how it is? What are their requirements for the admission process? It does mention in their website that there’s no SSAT exam requirement. Could someone guide me on what their selection criteria is?

Edited by Adii