Chem HL or Biology HL

Guest fierybabe14

Depends on what you are good at. If you are good at memorizing things, stick to bio. If you are good with concepts, calculations and a little bit of memorization, then go for chem. People have always told me bio HL is much easier than chem HL so I'd go for bio.. but it really depends on what you like more and what you are better at.

In bio HL there is a lot of chemistry stuff. If you are not sure what to take, maybe you should look to books and compare what you like to study more. Or don't you like to take both??? It is much easier to learn bio hl when you also have chemistry:) then it's also easier to do your lab work and write lab reports. (what in fact is a big part of IB;)

I think that you can learn chemistry without biology knowledge, but it's hard to learn biology without chemistry.

I remember having to make that decision myself and I choose Biology HL because I was better at it and had a higher grade. Now however, I'm not sure if I made the right decision since I want to study meds and it seems as if most med school in uk ask for chem hl.

It really depends on what you are 1 - capable of, 2 - planning to work with after the IB and 3 - find most interesting.

In my own perspective however it seems as if Chem SL is much smaller than Chem HL, compared to Bio SL and Bio HL. However, it could be just an impression.

Both seem to be fun. Chem HL has a lot of chemistry as well as a bit of physics. Biology HL is A LOT of biology and details to remember and there is some chemistry in there as well.

Depends on what you are good at. If you are good at memorizing things, stick to bio. If you are good with concepts, calculations and a little bit of memorization, then go for chem. People have always told me bio HL is much easier than chem HL so I'd go for bio.. but it really depends on what you like more and what you are better at.

All that,

But it also depends on the teacher teaching the subject. A good teacher can make a bad subject seem fun,

The chem teacher at my school is good compared to the bio teacher

i didn't take bio, but the people who did are saying that their teacher can't teach, and most of the class is failing

I do both Bio and chem at HL and I am at the end of the 2 years. I would say that I am equally good at chem and bio, but for me HL chem is harder but so much more interesting. I have a really good bio teacher and a not so good chem teacher but I like chem better and more interesting. I think that they are both all about memorizing, in chem however the concepts are a bit more difficult and you have to do a couple of calculations which is also memorizing how to do the calculations. I would say that the HL material in both is approximately the same. In chem there is a little bit of physics but in parts of bio there is too so I don't think there is much difference. I don't think that HL chem helps any more than SL chem with bio, because in Bio the chem in it is really basic chemistry. I reckon it comes down to what you like more and which you think you will do better in, because the last thing you need in IB is to be doing a subject you hate that you suck at.

Edited by Bandev

Guest choco91

chemistry HL..because if u do so..u still have de chance of taking bio SL..if ur interested in both..dis is wat im doin rite now

dis also depends on what u want to gt in to

Doesn't it also depend on what other courses you take? As in if you're taking another science or not.

Personally, I'd tell you to take Chem. It's not that I like it, it's more the fact that with only Chem, you can do a lot more in other sciences then with only Bio. Like what everyone else has said, there is chem in bio.

• 2 weeks later...

Take whichever subject you feel more confident in. I took both Chem HL and Bio HL, but you might find that too stressful, esp with all the extra lab hours if you take high. Chem HL is MUCH harder than Chem SL, but Bio HL (I think..so far it is anyway..) is only somewhat harder than SL...just more memorizing

• 4 weeks later...
Guest navdeepdunn
I'm stuck as to which higher level to choose, Chemistry or Biology ... can anyone help me out?

I do both. Although I find them to be more difficult than all of my other subjects, I am still glad I made this choice and hopefully I can get into a medical school soon!

I'm stuck as to which higher level to choose, Chemistry or Biology ... can anyone help me out?

I personally feel that chem would be easier than biology because chem is more based on logic than bio, which is a lot of useless memorizing and uninteresting labs....so i think if u like math and logic....then chem HL should be your choice but if u like memorizing and more language than math, then you can Bio HL.

Hope, it helps and good luck :lol: