Chem HL or Biology HL

Guest fierybabe14

Guest whatever

i think Biology HL would be good because it is more strightforeward , and you can just memorise the whole syllebus and then go to exam .

Well , if you like critical thinking you should go for Chemsitry , but if you like memorising you should go for Chemistry .

I don't know why i feel Biology would be easier though .. mhm ..

SL Chemistry is soooo easy. It is only a little bit harder than gcse level.

I am currently doing HL chemistry and I miss biology. I should not have taken Physics!!! Don't take physics!

i would recommend doing chemistry because it's less work. All my friends who do bio, I see them constantly memorizing.

Edited by Forester

I would say that they have appoximately the same amount of work invovled, I think that I spent almost equal amounts of time on them. Bio has a slight bit more syllabus but IAs require less time than chemistry IAs.

:crying: Are you insane! Bio takes soooo much more time than Chem. I mean choosing which to take is up to the person. If you're a lit/history person you definately want to take Bio since it's all reading and memorizing. But if you're a math person go for chem 100%, or maybe physics if you're really good with critical thinking.

All I hear from my bio friends is how much work they get, whereas my chem friends talk about atoms and gases, not how much work they get, which is alot less than bio. It's up to you though. I think chem is easier, but then again i'm a math person.

I did and have finished doing both Chem and Bio both at HL done the exam and all, so I think that I have a slight bit more experience of the difference between them. So I think in fact I quite rational in giving my opinion about this topic, rather than insane. Anyway I am a maths person and I find bio heaps easier than chem.

Do bio!!

It seemed so hard and i regretted taking it in the beginning because i had to memorize everything and try to fit it in my head

but as u keep learning it, it becomes easier as some of the old stuff come up again!

furthermore, bio helps u more than chem in real-life :D

cause it is

:D

Well, it really really depends on your interests and abilities. I had initially intended to do Chem HL and Bio SL, and I found Bio SL comparably very easy and quite a breeze. But then my hatred for Chem developed and I realised that doing Chem at HL literally meant killing myself over and over again. So I've moved to Bio HL, I don't like the idea of such a big syllabus, but according to my teacher we can get through it and I definitely prefer memorising to the application stuff. Chem SL is smaller than HL, there's so much Advanced stuff you won't need to know, that's really a big relief.

So it depends on how you've found both/your marks. Look through syllabi, past papers, ask people, teachers. And good luck!

Edited by shotaway

• 1 month later...

I would say choose Chemistry because it is applicable and needed everywhere, it doesn't matter what science program you may want to get into. Biology is limited and is basically a lot of memorization. Also, biology has a lot of chemistry in it, so why not just take the real chemistry & have lots more fun?!

You can't choose both? I wish my school offered us either HL bio or chem. Instead, we HAVE to take chem HL and bio SL.

I really would choose to take HL in both chem and bio if I could because I find bio SL pretty easy. And I'm planning to go into life sciences so it would be beneficial for me to have HL of both.

But it all depends on what field you're planning to go into and what you enjoy more. Personally, I prefer bio over chem but chem HL is okay..it gets tough sometimes but it's not all that bad.

I do both Biology and Chemistry HL...Like many people have said, Chemistry requires more conceptual knowledge and logic. There's quite a bit of reasoning and critical thinking involved. Biology is more memorisation and knowing all the terms. I like Biology more, but only because my teacher is truly amazing. You can try talking to some upperclassmen in either of these classes to ask their opinion about the teacher (ask about stuff like teaching style, knowledge of material, etc.). Considering that you will have to spend 240 hours with them, it is very important to get an instructor you think you could work with (:

Edited by Agneisse

It really depends on your interest and the teachers teaching the subject. At my school, IB Biology HL is a suicide for students taking it. The teacher expects a lot more out of the student and more work. Next my school is adding IB Chemistry HL, so I'm not sure about the class. So I'm only taking IB Biology SL.