Musical Investigation

KyleAdams

I have to have a subject/topic for my musical investigation by next Monday and I have very little idea on what to do. I am considering doing something about polyrhythms, but I have no idea what two pieces to compare.

If someone could help me by suggesting some different topics, and different pieces for each topic, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The only prerequisite for the class is to be in a group ensemble at the school. We don't offer any AP music classes unfortunately.

I chose the class because I am doing the diploma program and didn't want to take IB Psychology.

We have about 6 months to work on the Investigation. It's not due until late March.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's not that hard and doesn't need that much... well, it only took me 3 months to actually investigate and a week to put everything together. Anyways... just choose two different musical cultures (for example, Italian opera and Peking opera) that has at least one musical tie. Then just research for background information for each of them, then analyze a piece that represents each culture. After analyzing, you compare the two of them stating the similarities and differences. That's pretty much it... also, it's in media format. :rolleyes:

I'm really lost and confused about my MI right now, and I need to come up with a topic by next week so we can begin researching

I was thinking of a few potential options, like comparing balinese indonesian music to indian religious music, or if not, swedish pop to bollywood or something like that but i don't know if IB would be ok with Bollywood music as such, though I would make an effort to find good songs and not just ones that are in the movies for the sake of it... does any1 have any advice?

Musical Investigation is quite easy once you get a topic, but as the other girl in my class discovered if you have a crap teacher you're relying on luck to actually discover a topoic she will approve!!!!!!!

Anyway we were told to first look at the elements of music and find a compositional technique that is evident in two types of cultures. Polyrhythms is a good idea, different forms also works well (I did Theme and Variations in Mozart PIano vs cyclical mbira (african thumb piano) music which happens to loosely follow theme and variations), I would suggest going for something simple, something that really makes up the foundations of music and then it'll be easy to apply it to a hundred genres! Possibly the use of counterpoint, or monody, or the use of dynamics and expression to create climaxes.

The investigation is easier if you can find actual sheet music for both pieces, if not you'll have to transcribe it by ear which is a bitch if you're dealing with an instrument that is not tuned in any relation to western tones at all!!!!

Tip 2: Do not procrastinate, i did mine in a couple of days and it ended up being very rushed, if you need to transcribe and do things by ear do it all, get it all written down and then do the writing as that is the easiest.

Good Luck!

Oh and its not so much about what pieces you pick or even the genres, its the picking of the link and then the analysis of that link. So Bollywood would be fine, but it all comes down to how and what you compare it with.

Edited by Cubz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much, that really helps!

But i have a few more questions - so basically you look for two instruments in different cultures that belong to the same family? and then you look for similar compositional elements within them?

Also, how did you present your investigation?

and again THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :P

You don't have to do instruments from the same group, but generally I found you have more to talk about if you do. You can look at the differences in construction leading to different styles etc. Look for similarities definitely, but also differences. FInd a big common element, and then talk about maybe how they use that element differently, it shows greater depth of analysis. ANd then if you need more words then branch out and look at their uses of ALL the elements of music. I did mine as a lecture, ie just basically wrote an essay and gave in a powerpoint, i never had to present it. They really don't care about your creativity in presentation, and I found the lecture the easiest.

Good Luck, I hope you do really well.

Sounds great. I wanted to use the japanese song "Polyrhythm" by Perfume, but I can't find any sheet music, and I don't even notice the polyrhythms in the song even though I know when they are in the song. I guess I need to find another piece. Any ideas? I need something that isn't western.