Economics EE: Determining Market Structure

alldaylongchilling

Hey I'm still working on my EE in Economics.

What I'm doing is that I want to analyse a market structure using surveys, but I have some problems coming up with things to consider when doing so..

So far I thought of including:

- Brand awareness

- Determinants of demand

- Demand groups

- Elasticities

- Price discrimination

- Kinked demand.

Does anyone know something else I can include because those wont fill the 4000 words..

Thanks a lot in advance!

What is your research question? Right now it looks like you're already spreading yourself too thin. You really want to concentrate on one or two things to ensure a good grade.

It's:

Under which market structure is the clothing shop in my town operating?

It would be really great if you could help me out!

Thanks!

Sure, but it means that you will have to ask me questions. Unfortunately I don't have time to write a general introduction to your topic, but if there's anything specific, I'd be happy to help.

What I notice in your RQ is that it implies that it is a single shop that is the market for clothes in your town, in which case it would obviously be a monopoly (although not necessarily a profitable one). You would be better of looking at the market structure of all clothing shops in your town/area (or going even more specific if you live in a big town) through analyzing data that you receive from this particular clothing shop. Also, I would perhaps rephrase it to "To what extent is the market for clothing in town X oligopolistic / monopolistic comp. / ...?"

Kinked demand isn't considered to be a very good theory, so if you are looking into whether the market is oligopolistic (this would very likely be a small town), you might want to look into game theory.