French A1 - World Literature

Bishup

Hey, I have already chosen my Word Literature and have already read the two I'm going to write about.

I've decided to write my world literature on "Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka and "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich" by Alexander Solyetsyne.

I have thought of my WL question. I was thinking along the lines of :

"Jusqu'à quel point peut-on dire que la vie prise au piège se ressemble dans l'état physique de Gregor Samsa et le camp de labeur russe dont Ivan se trouve, privant Ivan et Gregor de vivre une vie libre ?"

"To what extent can we say that the imprisoned lives are similar in the physical state of Gregor Samsa and the Russian labour camp in which Ivan finds himself, depriving Ivan and Gregor from living a free life."

Please free to comment on the sentence structure. It feels a bit dodgy to me to. I'm sure i'll make it simpler.

What should I look at and try and do it. Does my quesion allow me to compare and contrast?

I did my world lit on the latter which is written by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, but I don't know if the last name is spelt differently in French. I've also read the former for my A1.

"To what extent can we say that the imprisoned lives are similar in the physical state of Gregor Samsa and the Russian labour camp in which Ivan finds himself, depriving Ivan and Gregor from living a free life."

'imprisoned' itself implies that they are not living free lives so you don't need that last bit.

I can't think of anything else yet :P

Just on a random note, and this may not be true for everyone, but I always find these things infinitely easier to write if you put the author's intentions into the question - it means you'll never accidentally do narrative and is much easier to conclude. So something like "How do Kafka and Solzhenitsyn use the characters Gregor and Ivan to portray the imprisoned life/limited freedom?" would, IMO, be way easier to answer :P

Your question is less of a question and more of what I've seen people round here call a "thesis" - a bit like a directional summary. You don't have to include the direction of your essay in the title, just the theme of the essay, which might make it sound a little less stilted and give you more scope to explore and refine what you decide to say. Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Having read my two Word Lit books, in self-taught I'm now taking notes on the different sections using primarily Sparknotes. Soon I'll be looking at the themes section and so on. Is this a good way of going ahead with my Word Literature because I can't think of a better one. Thanks for your help.