World Literature malpractise

Pwhdavey

What are the failing requirements for World Literature? If it fails, does that mean your A1 fails and hence your diploma as well?

What are the IB like with malpractise in WL stuff? Do they scan the works for plagiarism etc?

My exams are in November and my procrastination of study comes from the realisation that I accidentally submitted one of the WL assignments without a bibliography, and I've been to scared to ask my teacher about it because I just don't want to hear that I'll get failed over it and then fail IB, and one of the reasons I have been so crap with study is because I keep fearing that I've already failed IB due to the WL. This particular WL assignment stated the use of the work I forgot to add a bibliography about in its abstract but I doubt its enough. Please give me information on the above questions.

The criteria are defined for you in the Language A1 Sllyabus in the Files section of this site, which can be found here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=81

Each paper is out of 20 points, and totally, both WL assignments make up 20% of your overall grade, I believe. Not turning in a bibliography/works cited page might make you lose a point in the Presentation aspect or something, but it's nothing too major. You definitely won't be affected that much.

Also, did your teacher say that he/she has already sent the assignment off? The teacher will keep the first assignment and then give you the second one and then send them off about two months before your IB exams in IB2. Well since you said your exams are next month, they've been sent off, I suppose.

Anyways, once again, I don't think you're in any major trouble. Failing the WL doesn't mean you automatically get a 3 or less on your A1, I don't think.

And as for plagiarism and going over the word count, I've heard that they don't check, but the grader is more apt to if suspicious. Why are you asking?

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Sweetynsimple, thank you for your answer. It has somewhat relieved me but I better check the official documents myself. Why am I asking? Because ever since the day after I turned in my assigments I've worried that I would fail IB, and my parents money would be wasted, and I would lose my chances of going to university imemdiately next year. You know how IB is with malpractise etc; 1 bad swipe and you're out.

My WL assignment was a creative piece. I turned a scene of Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard into creative writing. I had fun doing it but I left it late and it wasn't very good. So I wrote it as if it was a novel, using the dialogue from the play but the rest was descriptions of settings, actions etc. I stated this in my abstract but I forgot a bibliography to state that I had used the play. So basically, 50-60% of my assignment is direct from the book. Okay, now please put me out of my misery and tell me if that is horrendously bad and they are gonna fail me in that assignment>A1>IB Diploma, or if I'm fine.

Ah. Well I was only wondering why you were asking about plagiarism :S

Did you put quotation marks around the text that you quoted? If you did, and you added a page number either in parentheses or brackets or as a footnote, then they'll know it's from the work that you read. This is a good thing because it shows your knowledge of the work. You want to use the parts of the text in your essay if you can, so I don't think it'll be seen as plagiarism at all, as long as you quoted the text within the scene you wrote.

They won't fail you in the assignment. For sure. And even if they did, you can still get a 4+ for your English A1 grade, granted you do relatively well on the IA and the exam. And even if you get a 2 or 3 on the A1, you can still get your diploma. Take a deep breath :P

Well sure I put quotation marks around the text from the play but I didn't have any footnotes. Basically it just goes like this:

Bla bla bla (a description of a setting).

'Why are you asking me this, Character 2?', Character 1 requested.

Character 2 sighed and motioned towards the table behind Character 1. Character 1 looked. It was a diamond-studded ring.

Anything in 'quotation marks' comes straight from the page of the play. No footnotes. =/

Thank you =) I will ask them the next chance I get. I have been too scared to all this time. I've been in denial, I just didn't want to hear that I'd fail IB before I'd sat my exams. It's better just getting a letter in the post that I passed my exams but my diploma was failed due to malpractise. Even though that would be so bad it's better than realising you're going to fail IB and you are doing the exams for nothing. So I've been afraid to ask them just in case I hear the 'truth'. They probably won't guarantee safety if I ask them and say there is absolutely no chance I will fail on this. But it should put me at ease anyway. By the way my A1 is a HL subject so I can't get 2 or 3. I got 6 in the IOP and 5 in the IOC, and my predicted grades for Paper 1 and 2 are 5 each.

Thank you so much...I feel more up to study now, less pessimism. Of course I still feel giddy and fearful. Honestly, if I get a letter in January or however you see your marks, to see 'Diploma awarded' I feel that I will faint :P that's how tense I am at the moment.