Multiple questions about World Lit

kankeel

For my world lit, I have done in text referencing for my quote from the two novels I am comparing and included those in the bibliography. However, I just realized that I haven't done the incorrect reference and forgot to include in text reference for some of the quote but have included the two books in my bibliography. i have submitted it, will I be considered plagiarising if I forgot and done the wrong reference but included all my sources in my bibliography?

Oh yeah, how do i in text reference a quote i took from the blurb

Edited by kankeel

The best thing to do is to tell your teacher and just fix the referencing mistakes and turn in the new copy. It won't be plagiarizing, but since you haven't quoted correctly [or at least I think that's what you're trying to say], then the grader might be confused and may not award you the highest level in the Presentation aspect for inconsistencies. I don't think your teacher will make a big deal of it because it's not like you're changing any of the content--just the citation within it.

It is unlikely that your essay will even go through a plagiarism scan. If your examiner suggests something, the IB might pick up on it but otherwise it'll go, through no problem.

Supposedly anything you upload to turnitin.com will give your teacher a percentage indicating how much of it was plagiarized.

i have been told by our teacher that World lit is not a research paper but recently he told us that we are allowed to do research provided we reference it. I have some biography of the authors and referenced my source both in the blibiography and in text. Will I be penalised my the examiner for quoting from the bibliography. I am afraid that they might think that I have got my ideas from the biography. I only use to try and some the intention of the author and to understand them. Please give me some sort of advise

Hrm, I have never heard of anybody putting any research references into a WL before, although I'm sure it's possible - it's just nobody ever has the room to put that kind of thing in! Anyway you just have to make it clear in your essay what is from the biography of the author and what isn't. For instance if you can say "this may relate back to the author's own childhood" and then superscript a [1] My Childhood by Mr Author, it's quite clear that's all you've taken from it. Or you can just make it clear in the reference which ideas are your own and which belong to the author. I don't know if you've written references into any of your other essays before or not, but it's reasonably straightforward if you just link to your reference straight from the idea.

You should be quite careful you don't deviate from the theme of your essay, though. Unless your essay is "how the themes of the novel reflect the author's own life" (which isn't really an appropriate title for a WL) it seems to me like it might be a tad of a sidetrack, although of course only you will know for certain.

how do i reference a quote I took from the blurb?

Just reference it in the same way but instead of writing the page number, write 'blurb'.

I would be hesitant to quote from a TV show [or at least that's what I assume you're asking about], but here's a quick format way. You could probably look it up fairly easily.

http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?reqstyleid=1&mode=form&reqsrcid=MLARadioTV&more=yes&nameCnt=1

:( That was funny. The blurb of a book is the mini summary and teaser at the back of the book.

Dictionary definition:

blurb |bləːb|

noun

a short description of a book, movie, or other product written for promotional purposes and appearing on the cover of a book or in an advertisement.

verb [ trans. ] informal

write or contribute such a passage for (a book, movie, or other product).

ORIGIN early 20th cent.: coined by Gelett Burgess (died 1951), American humorist.

And I've heard of blurbs before, but I never expected anyone to want to cite one. It's like citing wikipedia, don't you think?

Sometimes the quotes on the back are from critics, so that might be it. On the other hand I can't think why you'd want to cite one of those, either!

I am doing my world lit on the importance of view of life in two novels one of which is the outsider by camus. my thesis is that view of life play a significant role in contributing to the downfall of the character. I have written most of the esaay but I have ran out of steam. Can you guys if possible give me some sort of idea or point me in the right direction? Do any of you know where I can possibly find a free sample of a excellent world lit essay?

My thesis is that character's view of life contribute significantly to the downfall of the character?

What some example of world lit thesis?

I am doing my world lit on the importance of view of life in two novels one of which is the outsider by camus. my thesis is that view of life play a significant role in contributing to the downfall of the character. I have written most of the esaay but I have ran out of steam. Can you guys if possible give me some sort of idea or point me in the right direction? Do any of you know where I can possibly find a free sample of a excellent world lit essay?

My thesis is that character's view of life contribute significantly to the downfall of the character?

What some example of world lit thesis?

I can't help thinking this is a bit of an...obvious thing to analyse, especially if you take his downfall to be not the murder, but the trial itself. Obviously it's Meursault's view of life is the thing that led to his downfall. It's even stated in the book: they were putting him on trial for not crying at his mother's funeral (having a different view of life) rather than the murder of an Arab. He could have repented and acted guilty and acted up to society's expectations and probably live. but his existentialist views stopped him doing that, so he die. I'm not sure what other book you're comparing with but with The Outsider it seems rather a unexciting point to try to prove.

• 3 weeks later...

i need a bit of a hand..

im doing my WL1 on the theme of alienation in the books the outsider (stranger) by camus and metamorphosis by kafka...

but im not sure what the authors purpose in alienating the characters is...

if someone could help me...

even broadly on the theme of alienation!

pleasee.