Do you have to cite your sources in the Analysis section of the History IA?

ephika

I've looked at some examples of History IAs and they all seem to have references to sources in the D-section (Analysis). I don't understand why this is necessary, since one only uses the information from the B-section (Summary of Evidence) where all sources are already referenced.

I'm not certain, but I think that since you're still using something that's not your work, you need to cite, even if it's paraphrased and not quoted directly. Also, since you're analyzing and synthesizing the information you've provided in part B, it's kinda cool to see different historians works plus your own view melded together in a different way. The citations show that to the moderator.

Absolument! My former history teacher told us that we were required to use citations between sections B and D, inclusive. Your analysis will probably still involve quotes and additional, more in-depth information, and thus, citation is imperative.

When in doubt...cite your sources. Overdoing it will never hurt you, whereas underdoing it is a fatal trap.

• 2 months later...