How to get a 7 in Art

r a i n b o w stardust

My school hasn't been doing IB Art long, but since it has been, every student has gotten a 6 except one who was a point away from a 6. A 6, as far as I've seen, is not hard, but the leap to the 7 is difficult.

Honestly, I have only a few pieces of advice:

• Be extra neat, with both your studio work and your work books. The people checking your work want to see organized thoughts, investigation, things you learned and than see that organization and thought process transferred on to your studio works.
  • Get deep with your thoughts, but don't feel the need to deal with a profound topic, for example. global warming, racism, homosexuality, etc etc. There are a lot of small, profound topics out there. For instance, my theme is "coffee", and I'm looking into the addictions of coffee and caffeine, the poverty due to the large amounts of production of coffee, etc etc It's simple, but it can go deep if I look well enough.
  • Look good for your interviewer- look like your art, stand like your art, talk like your art (if you get what I mean). One girl from my school was dealing with fashion, and she actually wore one of her art projects (a dress) during her interview.
  • Practice your public speaking before the actual interview. Have a friend role play for instance. Have your friend make sure that what you say to them matches up with your Work Book investigations. If it doesn't, you have a big problem. Interviewers for IB Art will mark you down badly if you don't stick to your work book investigations!
  • Try to get projects done on a regular basis. For instance, I'm required to turn a project in every two weeks, along with the corresponding work book pages. You don't have to have every project on a theme. I have some off-topic projects because I came across a really interesting topic and made a project out of it.
  • Try to sketch all artworks you investigate/research instead of gluing in a picture.
  • Make a balance between writing and sketching; actually, I would suggest having more drawing, experimentation with different medias, etc. than writing, unless you are concentrating more on your workbook (that is what I am doing and I try to make a balance).

That's really all I have to say... It is simply things I have realized from the students who got 6's at my school.

this really helps! thanks! im aiming for a 6 in higher visual art, but from all the grades i get from my teacher shows im probably going to get a 3 or a 4 :blum: Do you have any ideas on how i can better myself? my theme is fear of death, and now what i fear is art! lol.. also ideas on how to increase my confidence will help as well! :blum:

this really helps! thanks! im aiming for a 6 in higher visual art, but from all the grades i get from my teacher shows im probably going to get a 3 or a 4 :panic: Do you have any ideas on how i can better myself? my theme is fear of death, and now what i fear is art! lol.. also ideas on how to increase my confidence will help as well! -_-

I think your theme is depressing, and it can really resonate with the spectator if pull out right. Maybe you should take a personal aim in your work and try to put your ideas into your art: like, don't you fear your love ones could pass away, and what will be next? You could produce some interesting work with hard textures on it. Obviously the use of black is just cliche, so why don't use white to express the emptiness after life.

Just some ideas. I recommend you to practice your drawing skills dialy if possible on your RW, that will help you with your confidence as you will eventually begin to create better art.

• Like 1

I think the way in which you get a score for Visual Arts no matter HL or SL is to have some personal engagements into your theme. yes, definitely identify a theme, it gives a united feel across your works, and also helps with the development of each pieces, so like it's a progression rather than just pretty paintings/artworks that pops into your head randomly. also, like everyone is saying, experiment, experiment, experiment!! with as many mediums as possible, then you have to critically deduce which medium is the most fitting to the effect you are trying to achieve with your artwork. the next important part is research, research, research!!! try to research as many artists as possible, especially ones that uses techniques you want to incorporate into your work, or if their works have similar themes.

Visual Art exam in 2 months! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

To add to this, make sure you include a ton of research, and make sure to explore art from other times and cultures (IB looooves that).

Seconded. Take a step further and compare several cultures to your own or with each other. The IB is fond of this as well.