Extended Essay in Music?

iotabebraindead

Hello, I am a junior currently in DP in South Texas. Last year, I discovered that the IBO offered IB Music as a course.

When I found the 40-page IB Music syllabus online, I was very intrigued by what the course offered, naturally, since I am a music student. From what I've read from multiple syllabuses online, a Musical Investigation is required by IB for both HL and SL students. I was really interested in the MI, and I actually want to do one myself, and also even begin a portfolio of my own compositions - since I plan to major in music at university.

Questions:

Do you think a Musical Investigation wuuld be a good start to do an Extended Essay in Music? I'm very much interested in doing my EE in Music, and since I found out about IB Music and the MI, I was wondering if it would be beneficial for a student to use their MI as the basis for their EE, and if, in your opinion (if you are in Music SL/HL), it would be a good idea for me to perhaps do an MI of my own (even if our campus does not have an IB music teacher) to get me started on the topic for my Extended Essay.

----------------

OR if that is a stupid question because now it seems to me that that would take a ****load of work, here's a new question:

Would it be wise to do the EE in music even if there isn't an IB Music teacher/class (but my choir teachers might be able to help)?

I can't help you about the EE because I have no idea, but I can direct you to the EE guide which might clear some things up.

http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=109

In my school, you can take IB music as long as you're in band [either marching or jazz, I think] or choir for both of your IB years. The students just have to do a lottt of work like end of 1st semester/beginning of 2nd semester.

So yeah, you can do an EE in music [and this would probably be smarter if you want music to be part of your activities when you go to college or if you want to major/minor in a music-related field], but you would be at a disadvantage, and you'd really have to be proactive about finding out all of the nitpicky details. One more thing--your IB coordinator might not even allow you to do an EE in music so make sure you ask =)

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on your supervisor. At my school, the IB Music course is offered, but I didn't choose to take it because I needed Chemistry. I talked to my supervisor and the IB Music teacher (who is also my band director and has been for the past 3-4 years), and they both agreed to let me do my EE in Music. I'm not planning on taking music in university at all, but I do play piano, and I've had a fair amount of education in musical theory outside of school. If you wanted to do an EE in Music, you'd probably have to find a supervisor who understands IB and know what the IBO requires for an EE in music, which you could probably keep track of yourself by closely finding the guidelines for the music EE. However, I'm sure a music teacher formally educated in music would suffice as well.

I imagine that an EE could essentially be an MI quite easily. One of the main problems I had with my MI was that I had too many words! 4,000 would definitely allow you the depth that really is necessary, and would look quite impressive to a potential university.

In terms of the teacher, my teacher did absolutely nothing and I did all the work, if you are confident in you music analysis skills, and you have music teachers that can offer some help you'll be fine. The main problem is picking a topic and theres a forum here about that, or im sure the syllabus would have something in it.

I would have done my EE in music if I could have actually thought of a second investigation topic! Took me months to get even one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...