Self-Designed Labs

meh

For self-designed labs, does it make a difference if you think of doing something really creative or not? So far in bio I've done two labs that were substantially different than what the rest of the class came up with, but it doesn't seem like that mattered much. So is it even worth it to spend the time coming up with something really original? In the end it just seems like you're marked the same as if you'd created a more obvious experiment.

Another question: what kind of grades did you get the first few times you did self-designed labs? We've done three so far, and no one has done very well on any of them - in fact, most people failed the first one. Our teacher quickly went over the IB marking rubric with us and said that it's normal in the beginning not to do well (we'll improve as time goes on). But is it really? Or do you think my teacher should be giving us more guidance? I'm kind of worried since between the three labs we've done I have about 60%.

I know what you mean. I've spent too much time trying to be creative, and I don't finish the procedure as a result. grr

But I think you can go with an obvious design. The point is to outline something that is plausible that shows you understand the concept and are controlling enough variables and so on.

My teacher doesn't give us feedback on them... I really should ask. But I think that you should get better at them. Sometimes, you might just not have a clue, but I think the teacher can pick the best samples of your work. If you're in your first year, you have time, so I wouldn't worry so much. If you're in your second, then ask for more help, either during class or after class. Ask to see your old design labs and go through them to see what you could have done better.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm

i only did 3 pracs in total for bio o-O

our school stuffed up our course big time but we managed to get all IA's done *phew

my first one was actually guided by my teacher as he pretty much said: your doing enzymes. here's some liver *hint hint nudge nudge

so we designed it off that

some people took initiative (by that i mean...google) and did they're pracs using pectanase etc because they couldn't stand mashing up liver to create liver juice :blink:

the first time i did i got 12/18...

and then the second one i got 16/18

forgot my last mark but it was better than 12 so i used that one

it's easy to get partials but for complete they are absolutely aslkdjfaslkdfj about every tiny little thing

so don't stress if you've still got time~ you'll get the hang of it

p.s - originality won't get you higher marks

In my IB Bio class, we do make our own labs, but we are pretty much forced to all do something very similar. Like we have a topic that we all have to base our lab around. For instance, one lab was food testing. Within that food testing category we could choose between testing for four different macromolecules and we could choose the food. Other than that we had no real decisions. We still design everything ourselves we are just very guided. Also, there are numerous online guides for writing lab reports. It is very helpful to look them up, as they can point out many things that wouldn't be otherwise thought of.

Also, I don't think it's a big deal that you aren't doing well right now. You will improve as time goes by, and since you get to choose which labs you want to turn in, the bad scores won't be a factor. It is just something that is usually learned with practice.

Good luck!