Music SLers/HLers = Music Majors?

iotabebraindead

• 2 weeks later...

If you're planning to be a music major, my advice would be to not take the IB at all, but rather do just AP classes as you'll be able to challenge yourself but still have more time to dedicate to your musical studies. If you're planning on going into music performance or education, the best thing you can do is get as good as possible on your instrument/singing. If you're planning on going into music composition or theory, then obviously you're going to want to learn theory, but you're not going to get a lot of it out of IB Music (which is more of a music history class, and not-so-good one at that.) Personally, I somewhat regret that I chose my all-IB high school with its sub-par music program over the local high school where I would have been able to play in a top-notch orchestra and still be able to take AP classes. I think I would have done better on my entrance auditions had I had more time to devote to practicing rather than piles of homework.

I'd say AP Theory might give you a slight edge, but not much (especially if you go to a really good music school where they cover a lot in Theory I). IB Music probably won't help you at all. And most universities with good music programs don't give credit for either AP theory or IB Music, unlike most of the other AP and IB classes.

Edited by Spockette

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Um this is kind of a late response but I'm doing IB Music and definitely not planning to do it in university, but the rest of my class is. It would probably increase your chances getting into a highly ranked music school, but isn't completely necessary, since the IB course wants you to do a balance of composition, performance (solo/group) and analysis. It's a lot of fun though so if you love music it might be worth checking out.