Why is there not an IB Music Course Companion?

iotabebraindead

• 2 weeks later...

The IB Music class at my school uses "Music: An Appreciation," which I haven't had much experience with but looks okay. For my historical music studies, I've used "The Enjoyment of Music" too, which is definitely much more historical-based as opposed to talking about theoretical things. However, their coverage of specific works by pointing out prominent musical features is a nice overview, and is probably sufficient for exams.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We also use Kamien's Music: An Appreciation. It's a huge book but I think it has a good balance between musical analysis/characteristics and musical history/context. It also has these useful little listening guides scattered throughout that sound like they would be helpful for our listening exams in terms of structural analysis.

• 4 months later...

I honestly don't know what we use.

We have Heinemann Advanced Music as our primary textbook. However, we don't use it.

Our lack of textbooks in my school is because our IB Music teacher taught a course similar to it at the college level, so he's teaching us from those notes.

Advanced Music covers the Music history as well as some theory.

• 2 months later...

We mainly use books under the 'Cambridge assignments in music'.
For the history aspect of Music we use, 'History of Music' by Roy Bennet
And for the world aspect, 'Music Worldwide' by Elizabeth Sharma

They are really easy to understand and are great for general knowledge and an overview of the topics but aren't really in depth.