2009 syllabus

Vander_Loorde

My chemistry is so demanding, but i'm no afraid of keep going. Anyways, someone can give a link or a doccument of the 2009 syllabus of chemistry SL, to know what and what not study.

And some advice of what option to use, I thought about medicnes and drugs because I watch a lot of house, grey's anatomy, private practice, ER,Scrubs and Mental. And I've read a lot of medicine book thanks to that and I'm planning on becoming a doctor... can someone orient me please, or I just stick to enviromental ?

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Do not text speak- Maha

Here's the syllabus in English: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=116

You can find it on this site by scrolling to the top of the page and clicking on "Files" next to "Calendar" and "Shoutbox" and then clicking on "Syllabi" under "General IB Downloads" and finding the Chemistry one :(

I don't know about Chem options, but I do know that much of the information in those shows are inaccurate XD

So I don't know how much they help and how much they harm haha.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

my chem options are modern analytical and medicines and drugs

i also want to get into medicine, but i dont think the medicines and drugs will be particularly helpful. the subtopics are quite broad and unforunately doesn't go into much depth, some of the hl stuff might be an exception. its more of a general overview of how they work, and im sure you will learn it in first year uni anyway.

there's not much content in modern analytical, most of it involves reading different spectra, looking up information in the data booklet and problem solving

i think human biochemistry might help if you want to get into medicine.

but all in all, it shouldn't really matter which chem options you do if you get into medicine, i think they'll teach the content. it might only come in hand if they ask you to explain a scientific/medical term in an interview, even then, they wont be that specific

Medicines and drugs is actually a good option to do for medicine as it gets you thinking about drug action and design. It's pretty in-depth in some parts and on the whole I'd say it's a nice way to set yourself up for studying it. The other one (so I am told) which is meant to be really helpful for understanding things on a medical course (and put you on a par for non-IB courses, as otherwise the IB doesn't really do much of it...) is Further Organic Chemistry. It's a bitch of an option, though, so I wouldn't put myself through it (although I did, but that's not the point!) :( Are you doing HL or SL? I am a little confused D:

One year before Diploma coordinator told us that we were doing HL chemistry, and we studied for that, but in the next year the coordinator was changed and the teacher ran away or was fired because of low scores on science last three years, so new coordinator chage us to SL. I think that medicine and drugs suits me just fine, it has a lot of organic too, but I will stick with enviromental.

Alice, lol he said SL.

Hi there,

First off, do not use text speak on the site, you're in IB you're more than capable of writing fully.

Secondly, if you want to do medecine and extremely ambitious about it, you should not see chemistry SL demanding. If it was possible, you should consider Chemistry HL. I did Chem HL and bio HL and im finding them extremely useful, especially chem HL. Mostly because of the organic HL chapter. So think about it that taking easy, or 'less difficult' subjects is not going to pay off as well as taking challenging subjects. You want to do Medecine! You should find chem SL hard, seriously. So that is about the subject.

About the options, once again consider your career option. My first idea was doing Medecines and Drugs & Human Biochemistry. But thank god i didnt choose those. My teacher did Further Organic, which made organic a whole lot easier and simpler, and then he did enviromental. I do not advice you to do envritomental, at all. If you take Biology HL,(which I think you should be) consider Human Biochemistry. You will be using it ALOT in medecine, and trust me, it feels good being sort of ahead of others. XD

You should consider very well that things seem easy right now, but try to imagine how stressful its going be in the period of exams when you have so many thins to revise and memorize, you wouldn't want a 'full memorizing' chapter in CHEMISTRY on top of your shoulders along with all the other compulsory chapters.

Oh and btw, im an insane SCRUBS fan! :(

I'm in only one science, wich is stupid, because I wanted biology and somehow I ended up on chemistry (we can choose only one science), i think my dad did it and now I'm screwed... SL is a piece of cake for me, HL was not a personal choice this year, the coordinator don't let me because we have a new teacher. The labs were a disaster, we rushed 8 labs in one week and I don't wanna talk about the reports... and the new teacher told us to stick to enviromental because it was the easiest, I have not much of a choice, except medicines and drugs...

I'm two weeks from exams... I think that I can handle everything except Math (Sl also) and Chemistry, and some friends get me the May 2009 to solve it so I can practice instead of memorizing stuff (hope is not illegal).

Thanks a lot for your advice

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I've got a question about the extensions in chemistry and I didn't wanna make a new topic. So apart from the core and AHL material we have "Extension" material in our books (year 2007 IBO books with the yellow design, can't remember the name:D) and I'm wondering if im supposed to know that stuff if I'm SL? Hope you get what I mean.. :P