The Picture of Dorian Gray

theodore

I might be alone on this subject but for a while I have kinda been going through an age crisis of my own. I don't know, maybe it's because of some kind of empathy towards my dad (who is 50 years old now) but anyway I have kinda been pretty "oh my god I'm only gona be young only once how am I gona spend this precious time of my life omgomgomg" (okay fine not in a such a radical way but anyway).

A book that I would really recommend to all of you for this would be Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I found it truly interesting and fascinating and I belive it managed to portray a vivid image of the youth obsessed culture that has been a part of us for a while now. I'm not gona go into the plot in detail, since many of you probably no some of it already, but basically it tells about a guy who pretty much stores his soul(?) into a painting, letting the image grow old while personally staying young and beutiful forever.

Something to be critically analysed in say EE as well?

[First post, don't shoot]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you are allowed to analyze a book and write your Extended Essay on it if you have read it for another class (ex. English).

Yes, it is a good book which involves many features and themes, it would not be difficult to write an Extended Essay on it. But it might be better if the Extended Essay was comparing two works. Basing an EE on one book is not enough, I think.

First of all, I love your last sentence.

Second of all, my friend did an EE on one book. She investigated the things in the books that may have indicated a direct relationship of the story to Autism or something like that. Point is, one book is enough.

Why can't you see another book you have read that talks about the same thing?

The Picture of Dorian Grey was an amazing book and it sounds like it'd be a great paper if you do it right. I think it'd be worth investigating and asking around about wether or not you could do it and if you do I suggest you find yourself a copy of the unabridged manuscript that Wilde originally wrote. It's called (for the life of me i can't spell it but you should get it if you google it) the Lippencott edition. When Wilde first wrote the book many of his homosexual innuendos were banded by the church so it had to be revised so it was more acceptable. So if you can use it in your EE then it might be worth investing in trying to find that edition even at your local library,

• 4 months later...

I loooove this book. I'm doing my oral presentation on it!! :))

Well, I guess you could do something along the lines of "how youth is represented in main works on it" for your EE and analyse Dorian Gray and maybe 1, 2 others... (a friend of mine analysed the representation of gods (i.e. greek mythology) in one book - so maybe you could even just do it on Dorian Gray). Best, just ask your teacher!! He'll know!!

I just finished reading this book, and even if it were without any of its themes, the language itself is already enough to make me convinced of its amazingness ;) And it is so quotable!

There is a plethora of themes to discuss, to be honest. Personally, the thing that struck me most about the book was the destruction of his soul through his perfect face: how beauty and the lack of aesthetic repercussions could psychologically murder the person. Didn't quite think about any middle aged crises - but I'm not middle aged, so it may be different from someone who is.

Edited by Caustica

• 2 weeks later...

since this thread is about the picture of Dorian Gray, I wondered whether someone could help me with this interpretation please (I'm writing my oral presentation on this and another book about the theme "a hopeless search for love" - any ideas?): I said that Dorian's "murder" of his portrait demonstrates not only his self-hatred (why did he develop self-hatred?) but also his hope to normalise everything and become a loving man again. Is this right?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this book, and even if it were without any of its themes, the language itself is already enough to make me convinced of its amazingness :) And it is so quotable!

There is a plethora of themes to discuss, to be honest. Personally, the thing that struck me most about the book was the destruction of his soul through his perfect face: how beauty and the lack of aesthetic repercussions could psychologically murder the person. Didn't quite think about any middle aged crises - but I'm not middle aged, so it may be different from someone who is.

That's one of the things I love about Oscar Wilde. He just fits these little quotes into his novels/plays seemingly without any effort, and they're just so intriguing! *Sigh* :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I absolutely adore this piece of work, I still quote it (especially the preface) quite frequently even though I read the novel almost a year ago.

The language chants you through a concise and thoroughly structured story. Vanity contrasted against itself. Goosebump ending. And it made me nervous, hahah.