Great CAS opportunity

theodore

I participated on an international work camp a few weeks ago. This, if anything, is an excellent way of getting those precious CAS hours. Here's how it works (or at least worked with my school)

So I listed myself as a volunteer through an agency (I would post a link here but the agency is Finnish so it would probably help only small minority of you guys XD)- The fee for this was about 120 €. Then I was sent on a voluntary work camp in Germany (yeah, I was on an international work camp in Germany, laugh it up...). I went on this gorgeous little island called the Sylt. My work consisted mainly of getting rid of harmful plants, putting up fences, digging, etc. Now, how is the CAS aspect involved? My CAS co-coordinator agreed that I could take CAS hours in both action (the physical work) and the service. Also, many camps offer creative work as well (say, organizing a musical event etc.) The camp consisted of international members so the international aspect of CAS was fulfilled, as well as the global but also local importance. I participated in many new tasks, showed that I was ready to take initiative and so on.

I had to work for 6 hours a day (supervised by our voluntary project leader), five days a week for a period of two weeks. I used the first week for action and the second week for service, making my total cas amount in two weeks worth 60 hours. The week ends were free so I got to explore the great new location with awesome friends I made during the trip.

Easy, actually meaningful CAS that yes, is maybe a bit harder then taking your dog for walk, but truly worth it. A really great and recommendable experience.

Comments? :(

Just pointing out--they don't care about hours anymore.

mm what do you mean? I know that it's usually quality over quantity but I got the impression that the most important thing is to just get the right amount of hours. It's not like they can say that "that activity was not global enough" or something, right? I mean since we don't get any extra points from CAS...

Just pointing out--they don't care about hours anymore.

Actually, you're wrong, they still care about the hours.

With the new CAS structure, the students are required to fulfill 8 learning outcomes. Each outcome should take a minimum of 25 hours to complete. Therefore, hours still matter.