IB certificate - when the school forces it on you

Solaris

I have been forced to do IB certificate by the School, even though i wished to do Diploma and its in 2nd year. And they are forcing me to drop a subject out of the six. They also say that i am allowed to do neither ToK or EE. And i have finished my ToK essay already. So my question is even if i wish to to Tok and EE, why can i not do it? If i wish to do them can points be added to my grades like in diploma, if i achieve full? Another question arises that if i get good grades (6s and 7s), that i am sure i will, will there still be limitations in getting into Universities? And after registration, will i be allowed to change it to Diploma afterwards (in January)? I am asking these questions because the school has been unresponsive to my question.

I regret why i chose this school for diploma -.-"

So my question is even if i wish to to Tok and EE, why can i not do it?

No you can't because the IBO says you can't. From the handbook of procedures:

G7.4 Certificate ©

The candidate is registering for individual subjects and is not entering for the diploma. Performance in a subject that leads to the award of a certificate (including an additional subject for a diploma candidate) cannot subsequently contribute to the award of an IB diploma. A candidate using the certificate category cannot register for the extended essay, theory of knowledge or CAS.

There is no limit to the number of times a subject can be taken again by a certificate candidate. If a certificate candidate registers for the same subject again, the certificate © category is used, not retake ®. When registering a certificate candidate who has already participated in a previous IB examination session (or sessions), it is essential to create a link to the earlier session(s) using the candidate‘s personal code.

If i wish to do them can points be added to my grades like in diploma, if i achieve full?

You can use a calculator and add them up but it won't get added together like a diploma. Certificates are certificates.

Another question arises that if i get good grades (6s and 7s), that i am sure i will, will there still be limitations in getting into Universities?

There shouldn't be, but universities will see that you did not attempt the whole diploma but rather parts of it. However if you do get 6s or 7s, I'm sure universities will overlook that.

And after registration, will i be allowed to change it to Diploma afterwards (in January)?

No, you can't. As I quoted in the paragraph above.

I regret why i chose this school for diploma -.-"

You can change your school. Maybe finish either a year later or just transfer to another. The registration deadline is in November; after which you're stuck at your present school.

• Like 2

One alternative would be to get the subject they're making you drop into something you do in your own time. Either self-teach yourself if it's one of those things, or find somebody still in the subject/pay a teacher/ask a teacher to help you out with it when you get stuck. Ask the school if they'd be willing to just register you for the exam (which in all honesty shouldn't be an issue for them...) and sit it regardless of what they are willing to teach you officially or not.

Do you have any idea why they've decided you can't continue with all your subjects? I mean, have they run out of time/space to teach you or are they worried you won't be able to cope... etc.?

Do you have any idea why they've decided you can't continue with all your subjects? I mean, have they run out of time/space to teach you or are they worried you won't be able to cope... etc.?

Because me getting 10s and 11s total in my HLs. And i do not have other subjects to be raised to HL except Maths in place of English, which is not a good option for me. My HL currently are - Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. Other subjects - environmental systems and french ab initio are unupgradable, even though i am good in them. Recently i switched to English, but the school says they do not wish to take any chance because they are concerned about their reputation more.

Edited by Solaris