French B SL

OK, So I haven't really EVER paid attention in French throughout all the years I've been taking it and I've missed a hell of a lot of class.

I take my French exam in May, and I wanted to know if there was any advice on what I can do to quickly learn some stuff. I know I'll be way behind on vocabulary and I won't really have as much reinforcement in my grammer.

What tenses and stuff should I learn that I can learn quickly for the exam?

I know I'm pretty screwed but I'm just hoping to get a 4 on this one.

For vocabulary, go to http://www.lemonde.fr and read an article that you think you're interested in. Arm yourself with a French to English dictionary and translate the words that you don't know. Rinse and repeat. This will also help you to structure your essays as well as to know sentence structure in Paper 2.

As far as the grammar is concerned, your French book should have some grammar advice. You'll need to learn the subjonctif which isn't that hard. I learnt it myself before the exam. The subjonctif is the only advanced tense that you should need at SL. It goes without saying that you should know the past, present, imperfect, future immediate, future simple and passé composé as well as anything else that I can't remember.

Thank you so much! Yeah, we have that whole assignment to read an article everyday and we have to hand one in everyday with a summary and all the vocab words we didn't know translated into english, but I always half-ass it!

I mean in terms of vocab, i'm pretty like, okay with it I know it'll be pretty basic but if I learn all those tenses you just said then I think i'll be pretty fine.

Thanks dude!

Yes, definitely know the tenses and as much vocabulary as you can. In addition, try to find old Paper 1s and practice, practice, practice! Specifically take a look at the mark schemes; usually, they're pretty strict about what you have to write down for the short answer questions on the exam. For instance, if you miss a single word or add too many, then you might not get the mark, although I think they're slowly becoming more and more lenient about what you can have. Also, be sure to find some Paper 2s and practice working with writing structures: can you properly write a letter, a magazine or newspaper article or an interview? Just using the right words and tenses and knowing how to structure your essay is worth 1/3 (10 marks) of your mark for that paper, so you should probably look that over too.

Edited by CommeDesEnfants