Arabic

safa

I do Arabic B and im really struggling with it. Ive done Arabic with tutors in the past but its only my second year of doing Arabic at a school and i dont think i'll be able to get a good enough mark for my examination in May. I can read and write quite well but its just the understanding that i have a problem and i really dont know what to do :D so if anyone can give me any advice on how to tackle my problem then id really appreciate it :)

Arabic is sort of different from the other subjects, like other subjects you can practice by speaking the language with native speakers. Spoken arabic is very different from classic original arabic. Therefore, I believe the best way is reading books, stories..etc. I dont know about B but I know A1 and A2 essays LOVE the style of writing used in stories and magazines. Since you have done arabic before you can use this way. At least thats how I learnt arabic myself since I wasnt living in an arabic country. :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am taking Arabic B, i can read and write quite well like you. But i still need more effort to put but overall i am a predicted 7 student. They to ace Arabic B is to solve many paper 2 papers! which is called 'Ta3beer' as you know, also read as many stories as you can and have someone write down questions for you. Also try hard and solve paper 1 questions and grade yourself, see where you are weak at! As for the oral part, prepare an oral assessment for yourself, do it infront of your parents, siblings, friends, or even your teacher. And most of all have confidence and try to like it and you will do it!

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I take Arabic B HL and it's actually pretty easy. To get better at arabic you have to read more books. My personal favorite is Jibran Khalil Jibran's collection of short stories, they're rich in metaphorical imagery, and beautiful prose in a way. Don't try memorizing word-meanings it's pointless, you need to understand the terms in context so you don't forget them. This also helps you acquire the skill of understanding the meaning without necessarily knowing what the individual words mean.

Hope this helped ! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with HanoBee, you must read a lot. Jibran is a very good suggestion; his writings are rich with imageries and you'll enjoy them. Other suggestions are Emile Nasr Allah, Al Manfalooti, Ghassan Kanafani and Emil Habibi, all these are writer with VERY difficult languages- even for natives, but very useful and enjoyable.

Good Luck!