Veterinary Science

Dr. Polaris

My dream choice is Cornell University, which isn't hard to reach if I start working hard, as I'm only in a pre-IB year. However, worst case scenario, I don't get into Cornell, what other choices do I have? I really am not sure what uni has a good veterinary science course, and any info will be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I want to be like, a vet, working in clinics with domestic animals. Should I study Veterinary Science or nursing or pathology or what? Thanks, and sorry for being semi-off topic.

I want to be a vet too :D.

However, there are no pre-vet programs in Canada so I'm doing pre-med instead. I say go for veterinary science/pre-med as your first choices but also apply to regular life/health science programs as backups.

You don't HAVE to be in a pre-vet program to get into veterinary medicine so long as you get a good MCAT score and have all the prereqs.

I don't know too much about US universities since I'm planning on applying to vet schools in Canada but the vet program at the University of Pennsylvania would be my top US choice, I've heard great things about it. Of course, Cornell is way up there on top of the list of top vet programs in the US but I know you already know that haha.

But there are tons of good unis in the US with great bio/chem/animal science/veterinary science programs that will help you get into vet school.

Do you know where you want to go? For instance in the United Kingdom degrees are "whole" things, so you could get in to do Veterinary Medicine (without the whole pre-med, pre-vet, pre-anything part!). The best places in the UK are Cambridge (REALLY competitive, though, so not necessarily worth going for), Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Royal Veterinary College (London). Just researching league tables on the internet is probably a good way to start off your research (that and geographical location, of course).

I really don't care where I go, because I've been to quite a few places for periods of time(parents'[ job requires it), so I don't really mind.

My dream of course is Cornell, but I also searched on Ucas.com, and Liverpool popped up. I've heard good and bad things about it, and a lot of people pointed out that Liverpool's world ranking isn't exactly high, but still..

Is the Royal Veterinary College (London) a good choice? It seems very dedicated to Veterinary Science.

It's got some brilliant facilities at the RVC (I know somebody who goes there and reckons it's very good indeed) but Liverpool actually ranks more highly for veterinary science than the RVC. Liverpool is a good University -- and for certain subjects it's very highly regarded. Are you looking at its world ranking for veterinary science, or just generally? They're not necessarily going to correlate, you see.

Haha, I was looking at world rankings. I would definitely go to Cornell if I can, but I'll opt for RVC/Liverpool.

Do you know where I can find, say, reviews for these schools and comparisons? Like, I'd like to know whether RVC/Liverpool/Edinburg/Glasgow would be better for veterinary sciences

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Veterinary+Medicine&x=43&y=14⊂=61 This ranking might be helpful.