English EE - The Hobbit

Taigan

Hey guys,

I've decided I wanted to do my Extended Essay in English Literature, and one of the books that I'm seriously considering is The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkein because I have a genuine interest in it (it's actually one of my favourite books). Anyways, I've done some research and I'm familiar with the main themes and ideas of the book: Coming of Age, Not succumbing to greed etc. Anyways, I've been told that it would be better if I compared the book with another piece of literature, possibly a poem. Anyways, what I wanted to ask was are these topics over-done in the IB (I really want to come up with an original piece)? I've been discouraged from doing Harry Potter or The Chronicles of Narnia for this reason, so I was wondering if The Hobbit was the same? Finally, are these themes and ideas I'm brainstorming too general, should I focus on specific characters?

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Tackling the EE at an early stage, Btw I've left a message on your wall but you never answered. Anyway, I think that The Hobbits sounds like a great book to consider, obviously it is well know but I'm sure you'll be able to make it original. What I have heard is that comparing two works is a very popular choice since it resembles in fact an extended version of a Word Literature Essay. I think the themes you mentioned are very good, but see how they are put forward in terms of Tolkien and how he uses certain symbols and characters, imagery to achieve an ideal mindset.

PS : Are you the only one in your year starting your EE?

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Actually no, we've all been required to select the subjects we want to write the EE in. This week, we've started to get together with our supervisors to talk about ideas. The writing hasn't come yet, but we have had a couple of workshops.

• 2 weeks later...

I think The Hobbit is a good idea for an EE, but then again I did mine partially on The Lord of the Rings, so I'm a little biased. I think comparing it to another book, or poem, is a good idea because it does give you a little more to say. I think that as long as the topic interests you, and if you can come up with some good points than it doesn't matter if the topics are "overdone". You could be surprised by what you can come up with, that others can't.

As to your other questions, it might be a good idea to focus on a few specific characters, as sometimes if you try and look at too many things you miss out on some finer points.

Hope this helps!

It's good to be specific in your extended essay so as to maintain originality. I'd focus on specific characters in the book and compare them to others from another book you would choose.

I'm also doing my Extended Essay on the Lord of the Rings, so what a coincidence!!! Mine is in art and I'm focusing on the costume and set design in Rivendell and of the Elves. And I had the chance to interview a costume designer and Alan Lee and John Howe, the illustrators of the trilogy.

Edited by CelestialCeres

• 1 month later...

hey

I would sugguest you do compare it to other books

i have a topic on LOTR linked with the Eragon series which one of my friends did: he did it on how the potentates(Sauron and The King) in both the books are never revealed in detail( like their thoughts and ideas are never presented in their own voice) vs. Shakespeare plays where we get an insight into the mind of the villain

I've doing the role of women in the lord of the rings, so i'm probably biased too, but i believe The Hobbit is a good choice. However, some teachers have told me that Tolkien's books are not recommended for an EE, because they are massively popular, and therefore overused.

If you really like the topic and feel that you can add relevant ideas to what has been already said, then go on and DO IT!

GOOD LUCK!