Paper 2: Are you allowed to answer a question you haven't studied in class?

ephika

Hi,

When I had a History Paper 2 test earlier today I found a question in Topic 2 that I really liked. It had to do with the Weimar Republic, which I know quite a lot about. The problem is that my class has not studied that topic. We studied Topic 3 and 5. When I asked my teacher if you're allowed to answer a question from a topic you haven't studied, she told me no. She said that the examiners will even know what topics you studied. However, I do not completely trust her as this is her first year teaching IB. Sometimes I even feel as though I have greater knowledge about the course than her!

So, are you allowed to answer a question from a topic you haven't studied? I know it's probably recommended to choose a question from the topics you've actually studied, but I really liked this question.

Yes you can. The examiner does not know what topic you studied. Your teacher is confusing it with Language A1 when you do have to answer on the genre you studied. But for History you can answer whatever you want. I didn't do Rise and Fall of Single Party States but I ended up answering a Hitler questio for exam because the Cold War questions were horrid.