History EE about architecture?

karlp

Hi,

I was planning to do my EE in history about architecture but my teacher said that an EE in history can't be based on architecture as such, said that it's more of a topic in art's history subject or smth. However, he said that it was okay if architecture was engaged in some kind of a significant historic event or smth. So i'm looking for your help guys.. does anyone have any experience with an EE about architecture or could anyone suggest how to structure the essay so that it would be suitable for a history EE? Any kind of help is much appreciated :rolleyes:

Well, my friend is doing his on Mathematics, focusing on the architectural patterns of European castles that allowed for the castle's protection. Going by the same logic, I guess writing something about architecture being engaged in a historical event is perfectly fine.

I'm actually doing a history EE about architecture. I'm taking it on as what some aspect of the architecture shows about the culture/society at the time.

So yeah, if your piece of architecture has some historical significance, which isn't limited to a "significant historical event," then you can focus on the historical thing, using architecture as your medium, almost. What you can't do, unfortunately, is use the architecture to talk about more architectural stuff. G'luck.

Thanks guys. Seems like I can't do an EE in history anymore because we have a stupid rule that one teacher can supervise only 3 EEs. So I'll probably do it in maths now and also try to find a topic about architecture... From what I've heard its pretty hard to do EE in maths. Does it take a really mathematically gifted person to do a good EE in that subject? Anyhow, I was also wondering if unis really give credit for doing an architecture based EE when I'm applying to architecture?

PS. If anybody else has got some good ideas or experience about how to engage architecture in maths then they're more than welcome here..

Thanks a lot:)

You don't have to be a genius to do math, and there are more and less complex math topics to engage in. Also, knowing your strengths and weaknesses in different areas in math will help you decide if what you choose to do is suited for you.

The only way I can think an EE about architecture will help you is to show that you're really interested in architecture. You could talk about your experience reseaching and how you feel about it. I'm not the most informed person though, so you should inquire personally to the specific universities you're interested in.

Well, yes of course, I understand that. I just wanted to know in general, whether universities appreciate doing an EE in the subject one is applying to. What about yourself, sweetnsimple, planning to apply to architecture in the future? (for you are doing an EE on architecture)

Edit: The problem is we have no visual arts subject in our school, thus there's no one to supervise. We are in fact the first IB class in our school.

Edited by karlp

I'm thinking about going into materials engineering, which isn't really associated with the mechanical side of architecture.

The schools I'm applying to don't ask or see what I'm doing my EE in. I can tell them, and that would interest them if I could link it to my interest in materials engineering, but I can't because for a history EE, I can't focus on the architecture--I'm analyzing how the architecture reveals something historically significant.

If you were to do a math EE, that would be more relevant, especially since you specifically want to go into architecture. I don't know what kind of application you're filling out to apply to uni, but obviously if your uni doesn't know you're doing one about architecture, it won't matter. If this fact is listed somewhere, then it'll probably be acknowledged as "okay, this kid is really interested in architecture/has some knowledge," and if you can talk about your EE, then they'll get an even better impression. However, if you want to do an EE in something else, but you're interested in pursuing architecture as a career, don't make yourself do an EE in architecture. This may be the only chance you have to pursue an extra interest for free. =)

If you're interviewed or get the chance to write a personal statement of some sort, it may be some small bonus for showing extra interest in a subject (like Sweetnsimple said), however you can do a totally unrelated EE and just not bring it up. It won't hinder you at all :P All in all doing an EE in what you want to apply for isn't necessary, won't put you particularly far ahead in terms of admissions (although of course you get all the extra knowledge about the subject which may stand you in good stead) and definitely won't set you back.

What WILL set you back would be a bad grade in your EE. You're most likely to do best in the subject you enjoy most or have the most natural facility. My advice would be to pick that and not fret about whether or not it's related to Architecture - again, as Sweetnsimple said, you may not get another chance to pursue what interests you like that (:

Thanks, I see what you mean. In my case however, maths is one of my favourite subjects and architecture seems to interest me the most at this point. Therefore I see doing an EE in it rather as a bonus than a setback. If I only could think of a good research topic.. :P