Universities accept diploma failers?

Pwhdavey

I had a friend tell my worrying self that if I apply to a university and I am not awarded a diploma due to getting a 1 in maths (but get 5 certificates for the others exceeding 24 points) then they shouldn't worry too much and let me in. This would be great because I'm having my exams at the moment and I look set to get a 1 in maths because of bad internal marks and general incompetence with maths. The university I am looking at, for IB requirements it states 24 points. I don't want to contact them now and ask about letting someone in who failed the diploma just in case I get a negative answer in the middle of my exams, so I want to ask here first for people's experiences/knowledge.

So for example I get 27 points all up exluding maths, not awarded a diploma, and neither of my other subjects got less than a 4...any ideas?

Ok, first you don't know that you're getting a 1 in Maths.

Second, I don't know if anyone can tell you for definite what a uni will or will not do. The only way is to ask them, but no, you should not ask now. I think right now, just focus on the rest of your exams and worry about it later, when marks come out and you know for sure. What uni is this?

• Like 1

I had a friend tell my worrying self that if I apply to a university and I am not awarded a diploma due to getting a 1 in maths (but get 5 certificates for the others exceeding 24 points) then they shouldn't worry too much and let me in. This would be great because I'm having my exams at the moment and I look set to get a 1 in maths because of bad internal marks and general incompetence with maths. The university I am looking at, for IB requirements it states 24 points. I don't want to contact them now and ask about letting someone in who failed the diploma just in case I get a negative answer in the middle of my exams, so I want to ask here first for people's experiences/knowledge.

So for example I get 27 points all up exluding maths, not awarded a diploma, and neither of my other subjects got less than a 4...any ideas?

relax breathe I have the same problem, it depend on the uni, it´s not like u r gonna b left out of college just for that ! Ib is considered to be AP or even more de pending on the uni, breathe in and deep focus on balancing ur grades and on doing Better Tomorow. If you get a 12 between your hl SUBJETS AND A TOTAL OF 24 YOU´VE MADE IT!

• 1 month later...

Get married - that's my backup option. Lol otherwise you can pay your way through a private university or resit your IB exams.

hahaha.. okayhhh.. but, really, are there any other options? because, if we sit for november exam, then we will have to pay again, and the amount of money we should spent is pretty expensive, rite? XD'

Well I don't know of any Universities which will take you without grades of some sort. Depending on the course and the University, there may be some out there which don't require the full diploma or which will let you get really poor grades and still let you in, but I don't actually know of any. As for dance schools you'd have to ask them.

All of this depends entirely on where you'd want to go. It's unlikely you'd be able to go to college anywhere good to do an academic course; it is possible you might be able to get into a performing arts course, but I believe even those can have academic standards. Also if you wanted to go to a dance school it would probably make more sense to do a course which lets you do Dance (unless I am mistaken, it's not offered as an IB subject) and which you have less of a fear of failing if you're really worried you won't be able to pass.

The IB is just a qualification. It's not part of the University system. You use your qualifications to get you into whatever you want to do, so if you want to find out whether an institution will let you in, you'll have to ask them! Just like any other qualification, the IB neither guarantees nor denies you entrance, it's just a way of proving you've mastered various subjects to a sufficiently high standard.

And yep if you want to do retakes you have to pay for the admin of the exam, which is pretty steep because the IB does round-the-world marking so your papers get a lot of air miles on them! Carbon footprinting...

• Like 1

In the US, there are policies set in place so that upon failing IB you simply are held to a higher standard for retaining your credits.

That is, you are accepted to an university under the assumption you will pass your exams, but should you fail, certain standards will keep you from gaining a full advantage of an

IB Diploma. For example, the state and private universities in Florida (and other states I have looked into), say that without a Diploma only scores of a 5 and above on your HL classes will count towards freshmen credits.

Look even further, and a competitive career will have a counselor that will advice you to retake your IB classes even if you score a 7 in them. This is true for my pre-med track, and my predicted scores of 7 on both Bio and Chem. I have already gained admission + full tuition to a state school and when I visited, I was told for the sake of my prereq for medical school to retake the IB classes. Why? Medical school does not accept IB credit and the general prereq. of "1 year of biology" could mean Biology 1 (year) or Biology 2 (year). So will be retaking my classes with or without the diploma.

Honestly in the US, unless you find yourself in a situation where a university will draw forth the European + other place standards of admitting you with conditional scores....your IB Diploma in entirety means squat. zero. nada. for most careers (please note I said most. A history major going into grad school would be wise to get ahead and take their credits from AP/IB exams).

• Like 1