Things I wish I'd known in IB1 for English A2

avident

This is for everyone who has any advice to give to IB1 students in regard to their future. Those already graduated can of course also provide tips for IB2s.

The thing I would like to stress, as an IB2, is that from all the works you read, you should pick 2-3 for very close studying. Know those novels inside out and you'll be set for the rest of the IB. This is because you'll get to pick two works for the IOC and 2-3 for Paper 2. When you make copious notes of a few books, you'll be able to use them for everything and do extremely well. Make sure, however, that you start this preparation in IB1 already.

Well, usually you are not th eones who get to pick those works that will be studying, its the teacher who does that. He/she chooses these works from different time periods, but they must be connected in one way or the other. I think such a thread already exists somewhere...

Well, I speak from my exerience and you are asking the question n order to see the different views from different people, different countries, different schools. Yet, I am sure that my school does not handle thing completely different, but each school in unique in one way or the other. i would love to hear what others say, since I only go by what my school tells us to.

It is a good idea to focus on 2-3 works for your paper 2 - that's what I did (I started preparing the night before the exam though, not in IB1 :P). However, you never know which works your IOC is based on, unless your teacher is nice and tells you. Also, if you get questions on paper 2 that are completely irrelevant to the works you chose (shouldn't happen, but it can, as my German A1 P2 showed), you'll have a problem.

Edited by Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The procedure at my school for IOC is that we get to choose two of the works which we have studied in English, and then our teacher will place extracts from these two books into three envelopes. Two from one book, and one extract from the other. Then we get to pick an envelope right before our preparation time.

That's what I thought was standard procedure, anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...

The procedure at my school for IOC is that we get to choose two of the works which we have studied in English, and then our teacher will place extracts from these two books into three envelopes. Two from one book, and one extract from the other. Then we get to pick an envelope right before our preparation time.

That's what I thought was standard procedure, anyhow.

Hello! Anybody has any English A2 SL past papers? I would be interested in P1 may09. I could't find it in freeexampapers.com

Thank you

Carlos